Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Mealame is on a distinguished road
Default WTB: New to reefing and would like to purchase coral

Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to the hobby and keen to get some vibrant soft corals into my tank.

In the last 3 weeks, I've begun my adventure with a Fluval Edge aquarium (stunning) and been building it up since. First was my sand and water, then came the live rock (along with a stowaway snail), a small 50w heater (my house is cold, brrr), small 230gph powerhead, and some major lighting upgrades. I've done the lighting on timers as I work long hours, 4 on 4 off, so I'm running 15 blue leds from 1200-2400 and 20 white leds from 1400-2200. The tank was left to sit for 2 weeks like this and is 'thriving'.. well, not quite, but there has been some definite growth on the rocks, and little feelers popping out of the rocks all the time.

My salt level is sitting right on the dot at 1.023 and last week I added a tank raised percula and a fire shrimp and they've been happy since..

I feel that my tank is now prepped for some coral and I'm hoping that there are some people in calgary that can help me out.. I'm looking for fair prices on some small frags, or whatever you've got. I like anything bright and vibrant in colour, especially frog spawn, zoas and mushrooms..

So, if you can help me out with any advice or frags, please let me know. Best contact is my email; mealame@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.
J
Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef!

Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Can you describe your setup any more? Sump, skimmer,
Have you taken any water parameter tests yet? Please post them.
Your tank is still kind of young.
Your salinity ideally should be around 1.026.

Mitch
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM

Mealame is on a distinguished road

Hey Mitch,
Thanks for the interest.. I do have some pics and may have some time in the next couple days.. That was the whole set up, no sump, no skimmer. Its a tiny lil' tank and I dont feel the need, nor the room to do those. The tank is only 6.7 gallons. Otherwise, nope, haven't checked my parameters, and I don't really know how. got any advice?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Just a little warning, in a tank that size, too many additions can affect it quickly, on the smaller tanks especially. Keep your additions small and spaced apart. The tank will adjust better that way. Welcome to "Canreef"
Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Off Topic but...

I've added a sump to my edge and that effectively doubled the water volume, it's hidden under the tank in the stand and really hasn't changed the overall esthetics, actually improved it IMHO as the is no HOB filter intake tube and no bubble problems...It was really easy to do, if you're interested I'll send you some pics....

Last edited by cale262; 10-05-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Welcome

Yup salinity closer to 1.026 but raise it slowly when your tank evaporates water add salt water back, where it's such a small tank do it very slowly.

Buy a water test kit at your stage you want to be testing for amonia, nitrites, ph, and nitrates. Try to keep all at 0 and ph between 8-8.2

6gallos bit small for Clownfish better suited for inverts and coral

tank is still very new anything added to quickly will result in unwanted algae blooms like diatoms and cyano read up on them abd avoid it as much as possible.

Try not to interupt light patterns you trying to mimick nature so 12 hrs of light with a few hours on lighter lights switching to stronger lights in the midpoint then scaling down again......morning,afternoon,evening.

And finally welcome and keep us posted with pics cheers

Last edited by reefwars; 10-05-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Sorry I don't know much about LED lights are those on your tank correct or coral growth? Or is a lighting upgrade in the future?

Tags
calgary, coral, wtb