Old 08-31-2009, 11:20 PM

GongShow is on a distinguished road

would my ninety gallon be enough and im still uncertain
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShow View Post
would my ninety gallon be enough and im still uncertain
in my opinion, your ninety gallon wouldn't be big enough for an Achilles. i've seen 1000 gallon systems with an Achilles that looked bored.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 PM

dang oh well i guess it'll save me some money in the long run. But two tangs would be fine with maybe a chevron replacing the achilies and anything else on that list look out of place and

Last edited by GongShow; 08-31-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 PM

so i just quite a few fish since my last post and some inverts but still no coral and ever since my last fish add my tank has this brownish slime covering assuming slime algae so i was wondering if my strategy of more frequent water changes and less feeding might help the tank get back to normal. and what would help me with the cloudy water

and here are some pics of the inhabitants so far

Last edited by GongShow; 10-14-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM

scub steve is on a distinguished road

the brown slime stuff is diatoms imo and they are there with the start of most new tanks. You can try using carbon to clear up the water. Also i think you might have added a bit too many inhabitants to quick
Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 PM

so there isnt really much i can do other than wait it out stop adding fish and lowering food
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Abbyreefer is on a distinguished road

Best thing I've learnt here is to take it slow. The more fish you add at once/the quicker to try to get it complete the more problems you might have. I know when I started the hardest thing to do was to wait, but it's worth it in the long run.

Enjoy the journey !
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Default cloudy water and lights

Okay so I decided to turn off the lights in my tank for two days to see if that would help with the algae and i got rid of that and the cloudy water completely but now i have had the lights back on for a couple days and its almost back to where it was before. Does this mean than i need to replace the bulbs in my light fixture or what is there really anything i can do
Old 12-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Hiya GongShow! Do you have any updated pics? The old pics you posted look like it is probably dinoflagellates (bacteria), and not diatoms (alga).

Your stocking choices are rather exuberant. Both of the tangs you chose (Sailfin and Hippo/Blue) will get much too large for your tank. You also have way too many fish that will get big. If you were to keep the fish you have in there now even a 180 would get cramped up!! Those two are very poor choices for a 90 gallon tank, they both get extremely large. The only tangs that should be kept in a 90 gallon tank (imeo) is a Yellow or Kole. Both stay small enough...even then only one tang in that tank!! The Foxface will also outgrow your 90. Your Blue Linckia starfish will also probably die as they don't survive well in captivity.

With the amount of large poo makers you have in there (Foxfaces and Tangs poo A LOT) this is likely the main reason you are suffering with the dinos.

I think if you rehome the two tangs and the Foxface, and let the tank settle down a bit you could be looking forward to a nicer looking tank in the New Year!

You could post up a new stock wishlist too if you would like some help choosing suitable fish.

This old list you posted is highly unsuitable:
Achilles tang (get too big, very challenging specie should only be attempted by advanced aquarists with a very large tank)
blue (gets too big)
or yellow tang
blue flasher Wrasse
pinstripe wrasse
Foxface Lo or One spot Fxface (too big)
Longnose Hawkfish
yellow Watchman Goby
Flame Angelfish
Emperor Angelfish (too big)
Copperband Butterflyfish (very challenging specie should only be attempted by advanced aquarist)
Mandarin (you would need more live rock)
maybe dwarf lionfish
two percula clownfish

Even if you took out all the fish I said would get too big for your tank, the remaining fish (not even including the CBB) would indeed fill a 90 to capacity.

Sorry to rain on your parade...

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-13-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Well i'm sad to tell you that those tangs won't be a problem both of them as well as the flame angel weren't eating and I got a more experienced reefer to diagnose them and unluckly they got a parasite so all that's in my tank right now is the foxface an the clown fish an anemone as well two small pieces of coral as well as about twenty more pounds of rock

Tags
90 gallon, 90g, gongshow, tank