Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Do you have some app that alerts you to the word Tang??
not sure if he needs an app. I'm pretty sure his Tang-senses start to tingle and he develops an uncontrollable twitch until he finds the culprit thread.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Do you have some app that alerts you to the word Tang??
You mean my spider that searches most reef boards?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
You mean my spider that searches most reef boards?
Yup, that's the one -lol
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road

right, that's why the purple tang is the last tang , and has to be the smallest of the three. the convict is rather small, and the tank boss is my 5 inch kole. I have roughly 250 lbs of LR stacked up in the middle of the tank seperating front from back. lotsa outta sight places for them to be away from each other. I've had sucess with a unicorn, yellow, and scopas in the past because of the immense amount of lr setup in the tank. go Berlin method
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
not sure if he needs an app. I'm pretty sure his Tang-senses start to tingle and he develops an uncontrollable twitch until he finds the culprit thread.
roflmao culprit indeed!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemah View Post
Purple tang is the most aggressive fish in my 225... I wouldn't want to see what he would do to other tangs in a 90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
It is great that you love tangs as I do but you really need to carefully consider providing them with the optimum conditions. You do don't you?
So plan to move up a couple of feet to a 6 footer and add tangs to your hearts content.

IME it would be poor judgement to add a purple tang which is known to be aggressive to a small tank that already has two tangs in it as has already been posted.
Absolutely I 1000% agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjaxon View Post
right, that's why the purple tang is the last tang , and has to be the smallest of the three. the convict is rather small, and the tank boss is my 5 inch kole. I have roughly 250 lbs of LR stacked up in the middle of the tank seperating front from back. lotsa outta sight places for them to be away from each other. I've had sucess with a unicorn, yellow, and scopas in the past because of the immense amount of lr setup in the tank. go Berlin method
Not to be rude but I will ask Red coral not to sell it to you. The purple tang will torment and attack and stress out your other two tangs. It's not fair to any of your fish to add him to such a small tank. You need a minimum of at least a 180g if you want a purple tang. Plus when I saw you at the store you mentioned you were having some issues with your tank. I would get the issues you have under control first before even thinking about adding anything else never mind a fish that has no business in being in there!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 AM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

I have a 4+" purple tang with a 4" mimic tang, a 4" maroon clown and a couple other random fish in a 90G with no issues. The two tangs are best friends and are rarely more than a couple of inches apart. Having said that I would not have voluntarily put these two into my tank were it not for a friend shutting his system down. They came out of another 90G and were in with a decent size Kole and Scopus as well.
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!

Last edited by FragIt Dan; 01-11-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 AM

there aren't any issues with my tank other than me raising my salinity. which my tank is now doing nicely from. I do a minimum 20% change every week which consists of two 15 gallon water changes. my total system is 150 gallons. I rarely have any issues with fish in my tank, and always take any appropriate measures to make sure all are healthy. a purple tang is not conspecific to anything I have in my tank. like I've said I have kept a scopas,unicorn, and yellow tang all housed together at the same time in this tank. just because other people have had no sucess for what ever reason, dosent mean that I won't be sucessful. In all likelyhood I won't be getting the fish from steve now because of the animosity you are all stirring up about this. but that dosent mean that I still won't go out next week when I'm sure my tank can handle it and purchase one. if I were an irresponsible aquariast that fish would already be in my tank period. and end of discussion. I started this thread not to rile the tang police but instead to find out what is a fair price is for this particular fish. oh one more thing, the reason for my sucess with tangs is the fact that I have nearly three grand worth of live rock in my tank. lotsa territory to name and hide in on my small reef by that measure.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

The more live rock you have in your tank means the less swimming space for your tangs.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I'm going to add in that I previously had a purple that lived with 6 other tangs and it was NOT aggressive. Of all the yellow, purple, sailfin, tangs I would place the purple as the LEAST aggressive of the zebrasoma (sp?).

Before immediately rushing to prevent a business from selling to a client, I'd probably ask a few other questions first; how large are your existing tangs, what are your long term tank plans, etc.

What if all these fish are 2-3" in length? What if they are all 4-5"? It makes a difference.

I'm not saying either "side" here is right, but I am saying step back and ask more questions.