Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Here's one of the tanks which gave me the idea years and years ago to try this out... The video links don't work anymore, but the pictures are still there...
Found a video - doesn't show the nice surge action this tank had though... Get a bit of the feel of it here and there though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLPob7yUKO0
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 AM

No real update... Having some technical issues...

Testing out some plumbing; checking out the overall plumbing & testing parts together to see how things will work... Popped a seam on the tank in the process of all the testing.

Looks like my pump estimate is a little low (Head loss estimate on a sand filled 4" pipe was apparently 50% off), not even enough to drive the CSD as I had previously tuned it (may keep it and run a borneman instead?); or possibly re-tune the CSD to work in this configuration - which is another monster, There's so many little adjustments to make to get this working right... The Borneman is sounding better every minute.
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:57 AM

Well, busy week (unfortunately not in good ways), but made some progress...

Tested a few variations on the carlson, tried out the bourneman... Decided I liked the flow from this version of the CSD best.

Yes, that's the 'was not to be' colby built tank - still practicing my laminating technique; hopefully I'll have the tank done next weekend.

Last edited by AndyL; 10-25-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:34 PM

For those (Sphelps and others) who wonder if a herbie works with a carlson surge - and doubts about whether it can be used...

Refining the previous tank tests; herbie installed. You'll note syphon from Carlson the hum from the mag 3; and the splash from the return pumps temporary plumbing can be heard... Otherwise pretty quiet.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For those (Sphelps and others) who wonder if a herbie works with a carlson surge - and doubts about whether it can be used...

Refining the previous tank tests; herbie installed. You'll note syphon from Carlson the hum from the mag 3; and the splash from the return pumps temporary plumbing can be heard... Otherwise pretty quiet.

I'm confused??? I like your bubbles and slurping??
Old 10-26-2008, 01:33 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah cause that works great, like I said before noisy and air bubbles. And that herbie is doing exactly what I told you it would, I mean the emergency back up even has to kick in every time the surge hits and eventually the timing will become out of whack. Honestly you should swap it out for two durso's or stockman's it'll work much better and much quieter. Just trying to help buddy.

Now you'll have to excuse me, for some reason I all of a sudden have to use the bathroom.

All kidding aside I do admire your innovation but you can't honestly say I was wrong

Last edited by sphelps; 10-26-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:54 AM

Emergency backup kicks in for about 300ml each surge, no real noise associated as the pipe doesn't even come close to filling (1"). Noise you hear at the moment the level hits the emergency is actually the CSD's syphon.

Durso's and stockmans in this configurations don't work at all well - they need to be much more tuned to flow than is possible in this system. Thus the tuning of the main w/ filling the overflow area to accomodate the majority of the surge is the preferable method. (Did test your theory; tuned for minimal and maximal flow, and one of each - either way consistantly sounds like a badly tuned stockman or durso)

However, flow in the tank is friggin awesome Dunno how well it shows on the video (did add some crud (Scientific term for the stuff at the bottom of the mixing tank) to show better) Get some awesome vortices running in the corners of the tank that peter out into the middle; that should make for some interesting random flow
Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 AM

Good for you, as long as your happy and can live with it. Still don't see how you figure that herbie was a good choice but still interesting to see.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Well, due to circumstances, I think I"ll be pulling out...

We were expecting to move when our lease was up in the new year; except due to a variety of issues we're now being forced to move sooner than planned...

I could get a FTS for nov 15th, but then the tank would be coming down almost immediately to move; and likely would just barely be up in time for the Dec FTS.

Between some reservations about how the contest is run; current life situation... Perhaps this is just not the right time to be competing for me at the moment...
Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM

Sorry to hear that, but how hard is it to move a 5.5?

If this continues someone is going to win the 5.5 contest by default before the contest is over.