Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 07-23-2016, 12:15 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default A Question

First the back story

In My quest to improve my camera skills I have perused the internet, books, magazines and even joined several forums yet I have been stymied by the fact that there is tons and I do mean tons of information on taking pictures of aquariums but they all talk about flat glass and different ways to shoot it I have a wave tank which is both concave and convex yet there is almost nothing on taking pictures with curved glass and most articles or forums that talk about curved glass picture taking almost all say not to do it or give very limited information on taking pictures on curved glass.

I have taken several nice shots of my tank and what I have learned is mostly self taught especially on the curved glass part but my knowledge is limited and I want to expand it.

So here is the question for those who are photographers or those who have tips and tricks or know of any sites to visit that talk specifically about curved glass picture taking would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Sadly this is one of the pitfalls of using an odd shaped tank and going off the beaten path with photography
Old 07-23-2016, 02:45 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
First the back story

In My quest to improve my camera skills I have perused the internet, books, magazines and even joined several forums yet I have been stymied by the fact that there is tons and I do mean tons of information on taking pictures of aquariums but they all talk about flat glass and different ways to shoot it I have a wave tank which is both concave and convex yet there is almost nothing on taking pictures with curved glass and most articles or forums that talk about curved glass picture taking almost all say not to do it or give very limited information on taking pictures on curved glass.

I have taken several nice shots of my tank and what I have learned is mostly self taught especially on the curved glass part but my knowledge is limited and I want to expand it.

So here is the question for those who are photographers or those who have tips and tricks or know of any sites to visit that talk specifically about curved glass picture taking would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Sadly this is one of the pitfalls of using an odd shaped tank and going off the beaten path with photography
With my limited knowledge, I don't think there is any way of working around curved glass. Taking great picture of a fish tank is to make sure your lens is completely perpendicular to the glass surface to avoid any sort of refraction. And cameras do not like refraction. I learnt mostly from a presentation done by one of the former photographer at live aquarium and she knew what she was talking about; and her methods worked well for me. Long story short, if it not moving (corals), long exposure and no flash, but if it is moving (fish), short exposure and not direct flash.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 07-23-2016, 05:35 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Curved glass sucks! I think i asked this question a few years back. I learnt my lesson and got rid of the bowfront tank. Not sure youll find much info at all but I feel your pain.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

How about an underwater camera bro? Top down shots of corals looks way nicer... A few of the guys here using a good camera I'll try to find the name.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 07-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road
Default A Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
How about an underwater camera bro? Top down shots of corals looks way nicer... A few of the guys here using a good camera I'll try to find the name.

It's the Olympus TG-4

Takes shots like this

Last edited by davej; 07-28-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Tg4 for the win like dave said, great underwater camera
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Don't give away our secrets.....too late...

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 07-29-2016, 03:26 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the comments I have some ideas to work with now