Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 PM

roblarss is on a distinguished road

I have the pump signal wire connected directly to the arduino output and the negative tied into the supply output negative.

I do also have a resistor and cap on the signal line to change the PWM to analog. The speedwave pump doesnt really need the resistor/cap but my jebao wp pump does.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I run a Speedwave 2640 as my return pump. Been using it for almost a year now. But I'm not using the stock power supply. I'm using a 19V laptop PS with it.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:45 PM

_Adrian_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronau View Post
Do you mean the Jebao module:

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...for-pumps.html

I believe they will control the DC pumps as well, there are youtube videos of similar DIY modules controlling DC pumps.

I would suggest oversizing and running them at less than full power.
That's always been the plan...
Its easier to run in the "green" than it is to constantly ride the "yellow stripe"!
That's why everything I design / work on is a complete overkill!
Its not hard to put in a bit extra and have 4 channels capable of 250W in the design and set it up as such that you may never need it.

And believe it or not 4 drives isnt much when you look at 1 Main Circulation pump, 1 Skimmer pump and 2 closed loop / wavemakers.

In regards to power supplies...
Sounds like they are pushing them right to the ragged edge. RMS figures are always a lot more different than the PEAK figures.
24V 400W off the shelf industrial supply maybe better suited then the "bricks" the pumps ship with as well as reduce clutter overall when all your pumps are controlled from one unit!

Last edited by _Adrian_; 04-07-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
I have a 1320 DC speed wave & controller and been using it for a year with no issues, the secret is to keep the power supply cool. BTW it's available for $75
Yup, I have several Waveline's and that is definitely the secret. The original controllers had a small fan on the back. If you mounted it to a wall (like one would assume you can because of the mounting holes) they WILL over heat, die and shut everything down.
After a lot of whining and complaining RLSS has sent me new controllers for ALL my pumps and they seem to be much better at dissipating heat.
For giggles, I mounted one of the old controllers to the bottom of a floor joist so that the fan was open to the air (it's running my external skimmer) and it's been humming along for almost a year now with no issues OTHER than a really noisy bearing on that little fan.
Here's the difference between the old and new controllers:

Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Yup, I have several Waveline's and that is definitely the secret. The original controllers had a small fan on the back. If you mounted it to a wall (like one would assume you can because of the mounting holes) they WILL over heat, die and shut everything down.
After a lot of whining and complaining RLSS has sent me new controllers for ALL my pumps and they seem to be much better at dissipating heat.
For giggles, I mounted one of the old controllers to the bottom of a floor joist so that the fan was open to the air (it's running my external skimmer) and it's been humming along for almost a year now with no issues OTHER than a really noisy bearing on that little fan.
Here's the difference between the old and new controllers:

Ya I'm pretty sure speedwave & waveline are the same company, so I think you could use a waveline controller to run a speedwave pump. What do you think? BTW I like your old retro kitchen table, my parents had one of those a lonnnnnng time back.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:27 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

It would be great if a well established company like Iwaki or Panworld offered something suited to our application. I know Panworld already makes a number of DC pumps, but they are on the small side & not biased for a lot of head pressure. Or perhaps an innovator like EcoTech could come up with something? After all, they're really the first company to offer decent DC power heads. Wouldn't be cheap, but you could be assured that some proper R&D goes into the product.

EDIT: Ok, maybe I need to retract my statement about Panworld only making small DC pumps, it's been a while since I did a search on the product!

http://www.panworldpump.com/products_03.php?cs=3&ss=18

Last edited by mike31154; 04-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:38 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Ive got 2 tanks running, one is using an Eheim 1262 and the other a QuietOne 5000.

The Eheim is rock solid and simply amazing!!

The QuietOne 5000 is the loudest pump I have ever head - Ironic with the name and all but it does work... I am hunting for a replacement Eheim so that I dont have any crazzy surprises...

Eheim...
Old 04-08-2015, 04:32 PM

This is what I don't get about "engineers"...
Why the HELL would you mount a heatsink at the back of the unit where there is little to NO airflow when mounted ???

The current plan for mine will be simple...
An SPI controlled 6CH LED driver ( PWM ) that in turn will drive 4x 25A SSR's ( Solid State Relays )

This way interfacing to a Arduino or any other micro controller will be as simple as a few lines of code
Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 AM

Spent the better part of they day working on THIS.

Hoping to finish up the light main board and tomorrow and then move on to the DC pump control section and heater controls.