Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 AM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Are you getting a replacement for the same pump or going with a different one? I have a Jebao powerhead & it was always glitchy, with the controller finally going. They wanted me to buy a new one, grrr...

Jebao has a nice price point (which is pretty important to me) but I wonder about the reliability.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:02 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Are you getting a replacement for the same pump or going with a different one? I have a Jebao powerhead & it was always glitchy, with the controller finally going. They wanted me to buy a new one, grrr...

Jebao has a nice price point (which is pretty important to me) but I wonder about the reliability.
I ordered a Sunpole (Aquamaxx) Magnus VSR-9000 DC pump to replace my current jebao. This will be capable of around 2370 gph. I agree jebao was a great price and very quiet pump. The problem was with the controller and power supply. I tried turning it up past 80%, it would overpower and get an error leaving me with no return pump until I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

IMO this is not reliability for a reef tank. Then the power cord (where it plugs in to the controller) acted up. Today my wife text me and it once again turned off!!! Stability is a goal and this jebao is not cutting it. My Alpha Cone Skimmer overflowed and now I have to tinker with that. Not what I want to deal with all the time. I’m hoping the new Sunpole pump proves itself reliable and is good quality. I contemplated the Vectra and Neptune Cor20... maybe down the road of this one doesn’t work out.

FWIW this pump has a $340 price tag, so it is still on the lower end for a dc pump. I will post photos and a review later on when I get it (hopefully here on Friday).
Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 AM

Exclamation Jebao Return Pump Users Beware!

Once again this darn jebao return pump stopped pumping. Took a closer look and the power cord end melted on an angle along with the controller plastic cracking.

Just an FYI for anyone with a jebao to take a look at the photos and make sure your power cord and controller aren’t getting wrecked.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:39 PM

chizerbunoi is on a distinguished road

That's kinda scary. Glad it didn't burn down and start a fire.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM

You know, I read about this particular issue somewhere. On my powerhead controller, when I pull that cord out, there’s always a little spark, which is a bit scary.

That’s my next upgrade - buying better powerheads. Can’t avoid the fact that you have to spend a bit more for peace of mind.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizerbunoi View Post
That's kinda scary. Glad it didn't burn down and start a fire.
I agree! Melted that plastic end on an angle. Definitely wouldn’t recommend to anyone as reliable or durable.

Quote:
You know, I read about this particular issue somewhere. On my powerhead controller, when I pull that cord out, there’s always a little spark, which is a bit scary.

That’s my next upgrade - buying better powerheads. Can’t avoid the fact that you have to spend a bit more for peace of mind.
My plug would spark here and there on the controller. Since it started acting up it sparks like crazy! I’m definitely over it, we invest so much in to the tanks and a return pump is the heart of the system. Fire is bad as well.

I have since removed the controller from where it was mount and have it sitting flat on top of the ato. Fingers crossed my new return pump arrives tomorrow. It could be just a one off however I prefer better quality over the low cost. Lots of good powerheads options that don’t have to cost a lot! Obviously lore then the jebao but that goes back to quality.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:25 AM

Talking Sunpole DC Return Pump

My new return pump just arrived today and thought I would post a quick photo. Hopefully I can get this installed this weekend

Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 AM

Lightbulb Magnus pump installed.

So got this pump setup and with a little plumbing tweaking it was a breeze. Simple controller which matches the pump with an attractive red color. There is not a lot of controllability (doesn’t bother me as I have it max) and it has a feed mode. So far I’m impressed with the build quality of the pump and especially the controller. Blows my jebao out of be water as when I tried to run it at max it overloaded and would turn off. Not cool for a return pump. 2 days and this pump is humming along.

I will post an update in a couple months for this. Here are a couple photos as always.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 AM

So, you don’t miss the sparks and melting plastic?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
So, you don’t miss the sparks and melting plastic?
My wife one time was like why is this thing sparking from the plug. Me: “oh that’s totally normal”.

Now it melted the plug end and controller... wife wins as the return pump
Went in to the garbage and was a fire hazard. What a gong show! Of course it completely shuts down at 10pm so I had to change all the plumbing and install the pump at night.

I have to dial in my Alpha Cone Skimmer again because the last leg of the old return pump caused it to overflow and now it’s a really wet skim. How’s your vertex omega treating you these days?

Tags
build, reef tank, salt water aquarium, sps, tank build