Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road
Default Switching to LED - Full Review Comming

Well I'm currebtly running a TEK T5 6 bulb fixture over my 75 gallon and have many corals a really nice anenome and had a clam for a while as well.

Been reading about LED's for about the past year and have finally made the decision to pull the trigger on them.

I will not dislose the unit that I'm buying until it actually ships, but will be posting a complete review with many follow ups once it's all settled.

Gave some thought to a DIY setup but I really like the look of some of the commercial fixtures.

Essentially going to be replacing 324 watts of T5 lighting with 240 watts of LED lighting., wanting to get the shimmer effect and really looking forward to having moonlights back, and the ability to control the color of the tank from a control panel so to speak.

STAY TUNED...

TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 AM

Zarstar is on a distinguished road

im running Maxspect G2 110w LED on a 54g corner tank... there is nothing like LED's, there is no comparison.

http://www.aquashoponline.com/cms.php?id_cms=7

this doesnt even do the night viewing scene justice... it's gorgeous

oh and i dont grow nuisance algae anymore dont know if thats the lights but i am leaning that way.

i am also going to retrofit my nano with some leds soon, anybody wanna buy some fluoros haha

zar
Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

im still on the fence wether or not im going to make the switch. Ill more than likely try a diy fixture.

Looking forward to the review.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 AM

Wow let me tell you there are quite a few choices out there….

I Still don’t have a light yet but I have rounded it down to my own choices, which are only a few of the ones listed here.

I will give you an idea of what I have been looking at and what I think the pros/cons are of each.

Again this is just my opinion, so take it all in with that in mind.

And all of these references and such are just to show you what I have been researching, and what I want FOR MY TANK, everyone’s tank is different and what may work for me may not work for you.

My basic requirements are as follows (Wish List)

1) Enough output to keep whatever I want in my tank

2) Ability to dim the lights independently

a. This helps with acclimation of new reef inhabitants and corals
b. Allows me to balance the color to what pleases me
c. Also allows for intensity to be lowered possibly extending life or making them usable on a larger setup down the road.

3) Timer ability to allow me to control on/off etc.

4) Ability to replace bulbs, etc.

5) Things that would be cool to have but not show stoppers

a. Ability to mimic sunrise/sunsets
b. One fixture to cover whole tank, or if modular one controller for entire setup.
c. Ability to mimic cloudy days
d. Variable light output throughout the day
e. Moon light that follows the lunar pattern
f. Connect ability with my pc or phone
g. Updateable controller so that if features and such are added I can benefit

The Contenders (In no particular order)

Pacific Sun – Incredible lights that will do just about anything you want them to. They are completely programmable and they are even developing an app for smart phones/iPhones, etc. that will allow you to make adjustments and changes to the light with them, currently they hook up to PC’s and Mac’s via blue tooth, and the entire systems is updatable. In my opinion probably the most advanced light out there right now. They also have several configurations available so your really can design a fixture for any aquariums size. They are also releasing a new version of the Metis fixture that uses the new CREE XM led’s, (The only ones that I know of that use these) These guys satisfy every point in my wish list. They also use 4 different colors of LED, so you get a great balance of color. They have been around for a while but there is still not a lot of info on the net, but from what I have found it is very positive. Great Support in talking with the suppliers.

More Info http://www.progressivereef.com/pacificsun.php (Canadian Supplier)

http://www.pacific-sun.eu/ (Manufacturer)

Estimated Cost to setup over a 75 Gallon system

Python LED’s $2700 Total Wattage (220) – 2 Fixtures Modular
Python LED’s $3000 Total Wattage (320) – 2 Fixtures Modular
METIS CRP3 LED’s $2600 Total Wattage (300)
METIS CRP2 LED’s $1900 Total Wattage (200)
METIS CRP2XM LED’s $2500 Total Wattage (200 – May be more but they are the BEST)

Vertex Illumina – Again incredible lights that will do just about anything you want them to. They are completely programmable as well, and have a USB option for wireless hookup to your PC/Notebook/MAC that will allow you to make adjustments and changes to the light with them, and the entire system is updatable. Again a very advanced light. They have pretty much all the standard aquarium sizes available, and even make smaller strip lights available to accent existing lighting, but they don’t have all the features of the illumina. These guys once again satisfy every point in my wish list. They have only been around for a little bit and you’re starting to find a lot of info on the net, most of which is very positive. I believe they use 2 colors of LED by default, but they do state that UV, RED and GREEN can be added. Have really heard anything for the manufacturer (No reply’s to email so not sure how they would be for support but others say they are good).

More Info- http://vertexaquaristik.com/ (Manufacturer)
Illumina 200 $2600 ( 200 watts)
Illumina 260 $3150 ( 260 watts)
I believe you have to buy the USB stick Extra for another $55 or so as well

Aqua Illuminations SOL - Again incredible lights that will do just about anything you want them to. They are completely programmable as well. They are also modular similar to the pythons so you can position them over the bracing of the aquarium with little light blockage. System is updatable (not 100% sure about the controller. They will work with pretty much any setup. These guys once again satisfy every point in my wish list. They have been around for a while and a lot of info can be found on the net, most of which is very positive. Default LED’s for these guys is two different colors, but I think they can be changed (at a cost).Another neat feature of these is that can be controller with many of the popular aquarium controllers (Digital Aquatics, Neptune, etc) Support seems to be good and quick replies with supplier.

More info http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.ph...9f12bb96df923b

http://www.aquaillumination.com/ (Manufacturer)
4x Modules with Controller $2800 (288 Watts)
(Do Not Need Controller with Certain aquarium controllers – saves about $70)

Illumagic Blaze ALC – Looks like a promising light with most of the options I’m after, they come with a controller for timing, dimming, sunrise/sunset, also has a lightning mode and cloudy mode. They lights come in your standard fixture lengths. Unsure how easy components are to replace, But they do used the favored CREE LED’s, so I’m pretty sure they are replaceable. The light is a real newcomer to the market, hard to find a lot of info them, but from what I have dug up on the net they look pretty good. Another unique feature of these is that the default bulb configuration comes with four diffierent color spectrums from the LED’s . Support also seems good quick replace back and forth.

More Info http://www.illumagic.com.tw/photos.html (Manufacturer)

http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2587 (Canadian Supplier)
48” Fixture $1800.00 (180 watts)

Inwatter Stingray – Another Promising looking light that has most of the options I’m after. Has a controller for timing and dimming the lights, sunrise/sunset. (No lightning or cloudy settings that I can tell) Come in 2, 3 and 4 foot lengths. Again uses the favored CREE LED’s with replaceable led’s and customization down the road. They also use four different spectrums for the lights as well for balance. Lights are really new to the market so there is virtually no info about them, I have found a little after a lot of searching and everything I have found has been positive, communication with the manufacturer has also been very good.

More Info http://inwatter.com/stingray.htm (Manufacturer)

No Canadian Supplier as of yet
48” Fixture $1600 (240 watts)

MaxSpec – Seems to be a pretty decent light and easy to find many reviews of them, they also have individual replaceable LED’s so you can color balance until your hearts content, You can also choose to use CREE led’s or SEMI Chips. They are modular so for a 75 Gallon I would have to look at doing two pods. They also have a built in timer but do not have the dimming function built into them. They also have new lens kits available to intensify and focus the light. Reliability seems to be somewhat of an issue, but it also appears that the newer G2 versions of the unit are more reliable, and the support has been great when there are issues. That being said they do have a newer G3 version coming that includes built in dimming and timer, not sure what else it will entail but time will tell.

More Info http://maxspect.com/auarium_index.html (Manufacturer)

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.ph...ae88fface4398a (Canadian Supplier)

2 160 Watt units $1230 (320 watts)(Semi Chips + $320 for CREE))
or 2 110 Watt units $920 (220 watts)(Semi Chips + $300 for CREE)

KEY Aquarium - Another newcomer to the seen, looks like the have actually been around for a while, but they haven’t been very prevalent in North America. They have some pretty interesting lights, and the new K3 model is dimmable and comes with built in timer. They do use CREE lights in the system , and have a bit of a unique item called the “SPS Power bar” added to some of the models that allows you to add different color highlights to the tank (red, green, blue, etc.) There are quite a few pictures and video available on their site, but I’m unclear on the manufacture of them at this point, could be the company fish-street, but may not. There is limited information available on the net on these guys. Communication with the reps or manufacturer was good and they seem to be pushing these more as he sells the Maxspec lighting as well but claims these will be better and more reliable. Downside is that with two lights you have to use the two controllers.

More Info - http://www.fish-street.com/key_aquar...ategory_id=118

2 x K3 24” Wide Dimmable $1040 (230 Watts)
or 1 K3 36” Wide Dimmable $700 (But I don’t think it would be enough 165 watts)

There were quite a few others that I bumped into while doing my research, and I have pretty much tossed aside some of them either because they were too modular for what I was looking at or I simply couldn’t get any info from the supplier/manufacturer. I figured if they were interested in supplying me with info now before I but the support would probably be that much worse…

I will post more info as I have and let you know which light I decided on soon.

TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 AM

Just a quick note to any of our suppliers/ sponsors. If your a distributor for any of the lights mentioned or others that I haven't included feel free to post the info.

Thanks
TJ
Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

Have you consider the Orphek lights as well... they are similar, and down have some of the options you are looking for, but are having good reviews for deep tanks.
http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/cap...ht-review.html
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 04-02-2011, 01:04 AM

Yes actually I did check those out as well. And they do look very good as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

J&L is trying to get their SPS LED tank to look good for a year now and still cant get it done.
And even after they ripped it off to pieces and rebuild it all, it is still looks mediocre at best! SPS just does not look good under their LED; unhappy, bad color, bad polyp extension.
Until i see at least three tanks that will show excellent SPS results similar to MH lighting i am not sold on LED at all.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
J&L is trying to get their SPS LED tank to look good for a year now and still cant get it done.
And even after they ripped it off to pieces and rebuild it all, it is still looks mediocre at best! SPS just does not look good under their LED; unhappy, bad color, bad polyp extension.
Until i see at least three tanks that will show excellent SPS results similar to MH lighting i am not sold on LED at all.
That's very interesting. Can you share what brand of LED lighting they are using? - If you don't want to post to the forum, please send me a PM. I expect the OP might also be interested in the brand of LED that JL is trying.

- Brad
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

I love my led setup over my tank it is a DIY though.I had to play with height and lenses to get it to my own liking.
i only had it over my reef for 3 weeks now.(yes i know its still early but so far no problem and i am driving the led to their max)
So far no ill effect polyp extension of the SPS corals is there and the growth is fine although on 2 of my encrusting SPS its spreading like crazy 3weeks with just under 1/4" on all sides.