Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-19-2008, 05:04 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital
Default JDigitals' 40G "Rimless" upgrade project.

Hmmm Another tank..... Well, not really "another", because my 10G contest tank broke on me and decided to drain onto the floor, so this new tank is just taking its place.. but it will also be an upgrade for my 20G, so really in the end, I'll actually have 1 tank less... but 10G's more water than now.. Make sense?!??!

Anyways, a few details I'm planning on and working out.

First off "The Tank":

It is a custom built tank for a customer at my LFS, but that customer backed out on the purchase, and so the tank was sitting at the store, so I got curious about it and inquired on the price, reasonable price for a 24x24x16 40G rimless (aka braceless) cube. The rimless style is something I have been looking at alot lately, so figured what better opportunity could present itself. I do need to drill it myself, and add an overflow, but that's no big deal.

2 Options: a) Corner 90 B) Center back

Couple pics of the tank to give you guys your fix.

Lighting will come in part from a 175W 13K MH that is currently running on my 20G. If some money opens up in my favor, I might upgrade that to a 250W 14KHQI w/Galaxy Ballast system. Supplemental light will be 2x24W HOT5 Actinics.

Flow will be provided to the tank by the OceanRunner 2500 return pump, and I'm thinking 2x Koralia 2's.

Sump plans are still TBD... I'm thinking of recycling the 20 as the sump. Either a Tunze 9005 or Deltec MCE300 taking care of the skimming.. 2x Phosban Reactors (1 Phosphate Remover, 1 Carbon).

More to follow.......... B)

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-19-2008, 06:35 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice tank!

Are you able to go with an external overflow? I think that would be nice to kepe the clean look of the rimless tank.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I have to say I'm a little disappointed you managed to find time for this new tank but not the 10gal. A lot of people were looking forward to that 10 gal including myself. Oh well you got yourself a cool new tank, the glass looks a little thin for my liking since it's rimless and you're a photographer but good none the less. I vote for a center overflow on the back, like this one:

Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I have to say I'm a little disappointed you managed to find time for this new tank but not the 10gal. A lot of people were looking forward to that 10 gal including myself. Oh well you got yourself a cool new tank, the glass looks a little thin for my liking since it's rimless and you're a photographer but good none the less. I vote for a center overflow on the back, like this one:

I still don't have time actually.. I just brought the tank home from Red Coral, figured I was gonna get a reply from you , just wanted to get a post up about the tank. I won't be able to touch it until into the New Year sometime.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Well that didnt take long for you to start a thread. Im glad things turned out for everyone regarding this tank. Will be impatiently waiting for this build.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
I still don't have time actually.. I just brought the tank home from Red Coral, figured I was gonna get a reply from you , just wanted to get a post up about the tank. I won't be able to touch it until into the New Year sometime.
Yeah still somewhat disappointing, the nano contest ends in April, still plenty of time in the new year. It just seems like you're giving up a little too easy, and still awfully quick to start a new project which I'm sure you'll have up and running by April.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Yeah YOU SUCK! Just leave us behind like that... like we never meant anything to you.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 PM

hey you stole my cry smiley!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

I know ahaha.

JD maybe you should go with a center center overflow??
Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I think an external overflow would be the best, as it would free up the entire tank for rock/ect.. I am building one for my 27 gal and like the look, it is the way to go for small tanks IMO.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.