Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ram View Post
I am female with limited techie skills which is why I am looking for "simplicity and function"
There are a ton of handy women on the boards btw... gender seems irrelevant =)

Although I am not an LED user based on what I've read and recently seeing both the AI and Radions next to each other I'd choose the AI. Seems to be a tremendous value there.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Another option often forgotten or ignored these days is the floodlight type LED bulbs available (referred to as PAR 38 which is the form factor & has nothing to do with light measurement). Pretty basic & may not be everyones cup of tea that likes controllers, dimmers & all the bells. But they can be installed like any household bulb, heatsinks, drivers etc. built right in. I believe they're up to 12 or more 1 watt or stronger LEDs per bulb now & many more offerings designed for marine tank use colour wise. Still semi DIY since depending on tank size & number of bulbs you need for coverage, you'll need to have enough light sockets wired close to your tank to handle all the bulbs.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Some of us must have different definitions of plug and play. Modular LEDs are no different than other DIY leds besides not requiring soldering although there are also non-soldering options available for other LED boards as well. Regardless the modular LEDs still have to be mounted to an appropriately sized heat sink which has to be cooled with fans and mounted some how above your tank. The LEDs then have to be connected in series appropriately and connected to multiple drivers (ideally with a soldered connection) which also have to be mounted somewhere. Then drivers may or may not need to be tuned to the correct current, either way some basic knowledge about the subject is needed. Then you have to configure the 0-10V or PWM dimming signal to some kind of controller which isn't always that easy for even technical minded people. I don't know about you but I don't see how this falls under plug and play...
That's cause Martin does all that stuff for you. You mount it into your hood, plug it in and away you go.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:18 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

what if you dont have a hood/canopy?..... or the skills/tools to make one?.....then your left with an unsightly diy LED, however easy it may be to assemble.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
That's cause Martin does all that stuff for you. You mount it into your hood, plug it in and away you go.
Only if you pay for it, I think someone that was unsure about how these work would be better off putting that extra cash towards a fixture with warranty rather than a DIY system that they no nothing about as it was put together by someone else. I'm sure he's a good guy and all but is this a career path, will he be around to service such items in the future?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:03 AM

Blue Ram is on a distinguished road

Update - I will have my new lighting delivered on Friday the 3rd. After a lengthy conversation with Martin, I ordered 3 blue Sols. Total cost including rails, cable kit & taxes - under $1500.
I appreciate all the comments provided by everyone and I considered each one of them in my decision.
DIY may have saved some money but it required assembly and skills I do not have.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:05 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Cool, ramp them up slowly
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Only if you pay for it, I think someone that was unsure about how these work would be better off putting that extra cash towards a fixture with warranty rather than a DIY system that they no nothing about as it was put together by someone else. I'm sure he's a good guy and all but is this a career path, will he be around to service such items in the future?
I didn't pay any extra for it. I guess it doesn't matter anymore does it?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
I didn't pay any extra for it. I guess it doesn't matter anymore does it?
I didn't know that Martin would assemble the units for you free of charge, that's a sweet deal! I will have to contact him for my LED project. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ram View Post
Update - I will have my new lighting delivered on Friday the 3rd. After a lengthy conversation with Martin, I ordered 3 blue Sols. Total cost including rails, cable kit & taxes - under $1500.
I appreciate all the comments provided by everyone and I considered each one of them in my decision.
DIY may have saved some money but it required assembly and skills I do not have.
Very good choice too, I have seen these in person and they are a nice light. You will be very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I didn't know that Martin would assemble the units for you free of charge, that's a sweet deal! I will have to contact him for my LED project. Thanks for the info.
You better mester

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build