Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Yeah still somewhat disappointing, the nano contest ends in April, still plenty of time in the new year. It just seems like you're giving up a little too easy, and still awfully quick to start a new project which I'm sure you'll have up and running by April.

You're entitled to your opinion.

And like I said, I'm not in a rush to get the 20G transferred (nor do I have the time). I just wanted to get the tank home from the shop so someone else didn't buy it.. Is it wrong to post a thread?

superduper: Center Center crossed my mind briefly, but it kinda leaves me stuck with the "pile of rock" around it... never really seen and SWEET aquascaping in center center overflow tanks... Got any pics of some??

Stircrazy: fishytime actually tossed that idea out, but I'm not sure i want to risk drilling that close to the edge of the tank..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-19-2008, 08:39 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8oSnBdCxU
Old 12-20-2008, 01:25 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post

Stircrazy: fishytime actually tossed that idea out, but I'm not sure i want to risk drilling that close to the edge of the tank..
I never drilled mine, it was way to slow. I got a glass cutter and made a template that went strait with the ends curving up. Did a nice firm score, undertapped the scoreline and then used plyers to break away the glass. Now I just need to sand it up and silicone the external box I had cut up for me togeather and on the tank.

I got the bottom piece for the external overflow drilled to hold three 3/4" bulkheads so my herbie will all be out side of the tank.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Hmmm Another tank..... Well, not really "another", because my 10G contest tank broke on me and decided to drain onto the floor, so this new tank is just taking its place.. but it will also be an upgrade for my 20G, so really in the end, I'll actually have 1 tank less... but 10G's more water than now.. Make sense?!??!

Anyways, a few details I'm planning on and working out.

First off "The Tank":

It is a custom built tank for a customer at my LFS, but that customer backed out on the purchase, and so the tank was sitting at the store, so I got curious about it and inquired on the price, reasonable price for a 24x24x16 40G rimless (aka braceless) cube. The rimless style is something I have been looking at alot lately, so figured what better opportunity could present itself. I do need to drill it myself, and add an overflow, but that's no big deal.

2 Options: a) Corner 90 B) Center back

Couple pics of the tank to give you guys your fix.

Lighting will come in part from a 175W 13K MH that is currently running on my 20G. If some money opens up in my favor, I might upgrade that to a 250W 14KHQI w/Galaxy Ballast system. Supplemental light will be 2x24W HOT5 Actinics.

Flow will be provided to the tank by the OceanRunner 2500 return pump, and I'm thinking 2x Koralia 2's.

Sump plans are still TBD... I'm thinking of recycling the 20 as the sump. Either a Tunze 9005 or Deltec MCE300 taking care of the skimming.. 2x Phosban Reactors (1 Phosphate Remover, 1 Carbon).

More to follow.......... B)
bah.. I speet on you...

Old 12-22-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Oh well you got yourself a cool new tank, the glass looks a little thin for my liking since it's rimless and you're a photographer but good none the less. I vote for a center overflow on the back, like this one:

Yea, I never ordered the tank to spec (or at all) so wasn't my choice. But I was looking at the tanks at Red Coral that are 3/8" rimless, and they are 36" and 48" and they aren't showing any signs of bowing out. Been like that for a few years, so I am pretty confident the 24" version will hold up.

Overflow will be a black 3/8" glass 10"x5"x14.25" middle center, just not angled like the pic, with a 3/4" bulkhead hole drilled 12" up from the bottom in the middle, for my return/locline.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
I have to say I'm a little disappointed you managed to find time for this new tank but not the 10gal. A lot of people were looking forward to that 10 gal including myself. Oh well you got yourself a cool new tank, the glass looks a little thin for my liking since it's rimless and you're a photographer but good none the less. I vote for a center overflow on the back, like this one:
where did you get that cube tank Steve.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road

I was checking that tank out last week some time. Nice find.

I love the look of rimless cube tanks. Good luck with your build.

Im following this thread.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

***tagging along***

have you decided on a theme for this tank? I really liked the idea of your 10gallon theme and am considering doing something similar in my 90...if it ever finishes cycling
Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
***tagging along***

have you decided on a theme for this tank? I really liked the idea of your 10gallon theme and am considering doing something similar in my 90...if it ever finishes cycling
Nah, no theme really for this... just a mixed SPS/Zoa tank.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:36 AM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

looks really cool. cant wait to see it up and running.

Last edited by Boomboy; 12-23-2008 at 08:20 PM.