Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 PM

elitesurfer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Murderers in my tank

I have been thinking all this time that my live rock had few Vermetid Snails that come out at night. The tentacles come out 2-3" out of the rock. I've found 2 of my cerith snails dead on the same rock in a two night span. Are there any snail predators that look like Vermetid Snails?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:24 AM
bvlester

bristel worms and hermit crabs will kill snails I saw a bristel worm crawling up under a snail and he managed to get under its mantel found it dead in the morning when I turned the lights on a bristel worm come out and into the sand. Which means there is not much food left sitting on the bottom of the tank so I don't thisnk I over feed. I have never lost a snail that was on the glass or on a rock. Bristel worms are opitunistic hunters so I think there may have been something wrong with the snail that I saw maybe a hermit attacked it first.

Bill
Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 AM

elitesurfer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
bristel worms and hermit crabs will kill snails I saw a bristel worm crawling up under a snail and he managed to get under its mantel found it dead in the morning when I turned the lights on a bristel worm come out and into the sand. Which means there is not much food left sitting on the bottom of the tank so I don't thisnk I over feed. I have never lost a snail that was on the glass or on a rock. Bristel worms are opitunistic hunters so I think there may have been something wrong with the snail that I saw maybe a hermit attacked it first.

Bill
I never liked hermits, so my tank only has astreas and ceriths. Its quite mysterious why only ceriths are dying lol. Astreas are active on the rock/glass everyday.
Hmm bristleworms might be the murderers. I'll try to spy on them tonight.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I think you might have those clam eating snails I had those as well small about a 1/4" sucking the life out of clam or snail.