Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Nuttyreefer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi

Ai
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Yeah those fixtures are total junk, none of them can really be recommended. I'd suggest you buy something modular so you can save money now but have the ability to add more later if you decide it's necessary.

For LEDs maybe consider Par38 bulbs, while good ones run close to a $100 each you could probably get away with 3 to spot light 3 areas of a 6 foot tank, then you can always add more later if wanted. You can also try cheaper bulbs and always switch them out later as well but as you can imagine that will obviously cost more in the long run. Either way you have more flexibility going a route like this.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0K View Post
You're right t5's will give me more flexibility as far as color goes...but not sure I want to buy new bulbs every year. I'll cross the last one off my list though and make it between the evo and the t5 fixture. I just want to know if either of those will allow me to have mushrooms or other corals in my tank. If neither will then I'll just get the evo led fixture.
They will all grow mushrooms. Maybe not the 0.2 watt one. You won't have to replace bulbs every year on a FOWLR...you can go until they get dim or burn out. Yearly replacement is for coral growth and mushrooms don't really count.

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 PM

S0K is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input everyone...lots of helpful opinions and advice. I guess I'll keep looking or save up for a better one. Thanks again
Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 PM

misty s is on a distinguished road

I have the aquatraders led light in a 48" fixture, it is very "yellowish" to the eye. I have mostly softies, and some zoas in my tank. I have a couple of bta's and a tube anemone too, all are doing well. Ive had the light for 2 years and it still works fine but I am looking to upgrade to a better light.