Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ya, I would like to have a few of them as well. The Pearly's do well in groups. I just wish they had better survival. I tihnk J&L will only hold for 3 days. Next time I get one, I will set up a QT for it with parasite medication in it from day one. Just means I will have to throw out the sand after since they can't be QT without sand, and you can't reuse sand that's been medicated. I will figure out a way to just give him a small section of sand to dig in.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

I go to JL daily...lol
live 5 mins away.
The staff there are all really nice people so maybe I could ask really nicely and see if they'd hold as I have bought two from them in the past with it turning out as described.

Did you see the thread on here where someone build a home for a jawfish in their tank with pieces of siliconed glass?
was pretty cool and a sweet idea for if you find a healthy one to live in it.

I have strayed away from any bottom dwelling fish in the hopes that one day I'll have a jawfish to inhabit that area.
I wonder what the overall mortality rate of the yellow heads are...
might be poll worthy.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 PM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road

that sucks i thought yellow heads were suposed to be pretty hardy aside from jumping, i was planning on one or two for my 75g, in fact i was going to get one at J&L but they were gone when i whent back

BTW anyone see the ring eyed jawfish at king eds for $80?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

I couldn't even find a picture of one beyond a crappy hiding in his hole shot...
was it nice?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:43 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I bought one on Boxing Day that went into my quarantine for 4 weeks, and has since been in my 125 gallon display. He does fine, even though I have 2 large tangs. I see his little head all the time. He dug a hole underneath my 15 inch clam, and both seem to be doing fine. Always comes out and eats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefer View Post
that sucks i thought yellow heads were suposed to be pretty hardy aside from jumping, i was planning on one or two for my 75g, in fact i was going to get one at J&L but they were gone when i whent back

BTW anyone see the ring eyed jawfish at king eds for $80?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
I go to JL daily...lol
live 5 mins away.
The staff there are all really nice people so maybe I could ask really nicely and see if they'd hold as I have bought two from them in the past with it turning out as described.

Did you see the thread on here where someone build a home for a jawfish in their tank with pieces of siliconed glass?
was pretty cool and a sweet idea for if you find a healthy one to live in it.

I have strayed away from any bottom dwelling fish in the hopes that one day I'll have a jawfish to inhabit that area.
I wonder what the overall mortality rate of the yellow heads are...
might be poll worthy.
I didn't see the siliconed glass one...I saw the PVC piping one. Thought that was cool, but I want my little guy to have a "natural" home. I think I might do something along the lines of the PVC piping for the QT though...

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

I've been thinking about this more and more and I wonder how beneficial it would be to design a natural aquascape specifically for jawfish use.
Maybe for example, a rock formation using putty placed in the tank and then covered in substrate to allow it to have somewhere to go right off the bat and then build on it from there.

I think, since I'm developing a new 95 gallon right now and want one of these finicky fish pretty bad that I'm going to try it and make a jawfish the first introduction to it.

I'll do a note on it when I do the tank journal, but I'm going to start looking for some choice rocks to work with now.

I would consider these jawfish my greatest challenge in reefing so far so it would be really sweet to keep one alive for a couple years....
Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

my pearly.

72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

you're in a rsm right guap?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

zazzoo is on a distinguished road

damn that was the one that i bought... bummer..... got to see him for only couple seconds