Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM

mikeclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Yup, my Pearlscales were the best at totally eradicating my very extreme aiptasia problem. I had a Copperband, too, but he wouldn't touch the big ones, but the Pearlscales would. They were actually a good combo, in that the Pearlscales would rip out the aiptasia from their holes, and the Copperband would join in, and go after the bits.

I still have the Pearlescales, and they don't touch any of my corals now, incl various LPS and SPS. They carefully examine a new frag that I put in, and had me worried a couple times, the way they eyed it over. But the most they did was suck off a few strings of slime, and then left them alone.

Having said that, when I first got them they did nip at some of my LPS initially. But I fed them well, and they soon left them alone. Now they leave all my corals alone. And my main display tank is still clean of aiptasia. They do like to hunt and peck in the rocks, esp when the lights are down in the early morning and late evening. But I think they are just after pods, or whatever other critters they can find there.

I recently set up another tank downstairs, and just saw a few aiptasia appear on the rocks there. I moved one of my Pearlescales down there, but so far he has not touched them. Not sure if he is too well fed, or has lost the taste, or what. I will give him more time, and maybe move one of my other ones down there too. I have 3 Pearlescales altogether, and they can be kept in the same tank (if it is big enough). They do establish a pecking order, and as long as they all know their place, there is peace. I have had them for about 2 years now.

Thanks for all of the advice. Where is the best place for variety, quality, and value in Calgary to get fish?