Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road
Default Foxface Rabbit fish

just wondering how poisonous the barbs on the dorsal are? is it life threatining if you get stung ? is it commen for them to "become deffensive" when putting hands in the tank?
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

When I bought mine I was told that it was very painful, but not life threatening. He does not get defensive at all when I put my hands in the tank and he very rarely gets his back up.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Ditto

Mine avoids my hands in the tank.
I've been told to be more cautious if you have severe reaction to bee or wasp stings, tho I don't know if the venom is the same at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Read that hurt like a bee sting.

I'm not worried about sticking my hand in the tank with mine, just mindful that I'm not startling or trapping in a corner. It just moves to the other side of the tank.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Read that hurt like a bee sting.

I'm not worried about sticking my hand in the tank with mine, just mindful that I'm not startling or trapping in a corner. It just moves to the other side of the tank.
and there ya go. basically like a strong bee sting, probably a bit worse. If you are known to be allergenic take extra care. but really, just so long as the fish isn't trapped and feels threatened you should be in no danger at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I was quite wary of my foxface when i first got him. Now I realize he is not a problem, when I'm working in the tank. He stays out of the way. I can hand feed him as long as my hand stays out of the water. The second my hand goes into the water he backs off. Like Mark said, just make sure you don't corner him.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I have to laugh....when I purchased mine (store best left un-mentioned), a young kid was preparing to catch the fish for me...

He had one hand in the tank and he was trying to scoot the fish over into a net. I happen to mention.."You know they are venomous, eh?". Well..obviously he didn't know that and the look on his face at that moment was pretty amusing.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I have to laugh....when I purchased mine (store best left un-mentioned), a young kid was preparing to catch the fish for me...

He had one hand in the tank and he was trying to scoot the fish over into a net. I happen to mention.."You know they are venomous, eh?". Well..obviously he didn't know that and the look on his face at that moment was pretty amusing.
LMAO, its them times you need a camera....Quick.

I too have been wondering how venomous they are. bee sting, thats cool. Not to hijack, but what about a Volitans Lionfish?? Less, Same, Worse?

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 PM

Patrick1 is on a distinguished road

ask albert dao,
He knows first hand, ha pun
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 AM

yannicksjh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post

That's funny, same thing happen to me at a Big Als' store in Toronto. I asked for the magnificent foxface in the tank and he starts with the net and can;t catch him, then starts coaxing him in the net with his bare hands and tell him the same thing you did, the look was aslo priceless. Then turns to me and says you catch him. Anyways, great looking fish and would say he is harmless. i just redid some rock in my tank and didn't think or look for him once since i know he just stay away!