Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

This article regards the Fu Manchu as being one of the most difficult lionfish to keep because they ship poorly, wont often eat frozen, are quite shy, and are easily out competed for food.
Thanks for the link, very informative.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

New pictures.

I cleaned off all of the coraline from the back glass of my frag tank to give it a cleaner look. Now you can really see the frags hanging there.

I've also re-organized my power bar and spider web of wires to lesson the amount of a fire hazard that it is.

I'm too broke to buy one so I built this DIY waste collector for my skimmer out of donated acrylic. The sticker is from a record label. I think it makes it look name-brand. lol

I've been wanting more flow for a while so earlier this summer when I saw an opportunity to upgrade my OM SS Compact to a 4-Way I took it. I'm still running a Sequence Dart but with the larger plumbing I'm getting roughly 1000gph more flow through it.

Heres a pic of the gear that sits under the tank. Ca reactor, DIY effluent chamber, DIY kalk reactor, CO2 cylinder, battery backup, and Neptune DC8.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 AM

More new pics.

I nearly killed this bubble two years ago but after moving it to this shaded and protected corner it has made a steady recovery.

Why does it have to grow so SLOW! I love this frag.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Beautiful colours on your lion fish!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Everything looks really healthy. Seems your pictures are very true to life as far as white balance goes etc. What's your secret?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Everything looks really healthy. Seems your pictures are very true to life as far as white balance goes etc. What's your secret?
No secret really. I'm just using a Canon PowerShot in manual mode. To adjust the white balance I just change the ISO value in the Function menu... I never read the instructions for the camera so I dont truly know what I'm doing but it seems to work well enough.

About a week ago my plate coral spawned. It was about two hours before the lights shut off and it just started puffing clouds of white liquid. I wish I could have taken a picture but I wasnt prepared. Heres a picture of it today, acting normal.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 10-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Do I see some Acans in your frag tank? *wink wink, nudge nudge*
Old 10-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Wow, I just read through this whole tank journal and I am very impressed. I love the mature and "clean" look to your tank with lots of open water. Very very nice build. Out of curiosity, what pump are you running with your Bullet 3? I'm running one of those. Thinking about maybe adding a pump to it. Where do you have your water level in the skimmer? Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Do I see some Acans in your frag tank? *wink wink, nudge nudge*
My poor four acans have to be separated from my main tank because the Copperbanded Butterfly will eat them. So I frag them a lot to keep them small so that they dont take up very much space and to get back the money I spent on them. Does this mean you're going to keep your tank running for a few more years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Wow, I just read through this whole tank journal and I am very impressed. I love the mature and "clean" look to your tank with lots of open water. Very very nice build. Out of curiosity, what pump are you running with your Bullet 3? I'm running one of those. Thinking about maybe adding a pump to it. Where do you have your water level in the skimmer? Thanks again.
The pump is an Iwaki 55 although the owners manual recommended the 70 as being slightly better for the Bullet 3 so if I see a used one for sale I might take it. The water level is roughly 1" above the box but its hard to tell because I have a lot of coraline algae growing inside the first riser tube in that area. Here is what the bubbles in the two risers look like. I find that set like this I get some pretty dark skimmate (one weeks worth pictured above). The skimmer never overflows but it often crashes if I feed oily food. I cleaned out the collection cup and air intake last night.

Elos NO3 <1
Elos PO4 .01

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 AM

I cant get over the growth of this acro I bought as a frag from Ottawa Inverts in a group order we did back in March of this year. It was about 1/5" on a plug at the time.

May 17:

October 16:

November 14:

January 13

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 01-13-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added another pic