Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-09-2019, 08:37 PM

target is on a distinguished road

Go big or go home. 10 foot is my dream.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

Well cycle is moving along excellently. Spiked to max of 0.75 Ammonia. Now we are sitting between 0 and 0.25ppm. And starting to get some algae growth. So it was time to start adding CUC. Tossed in 6 Trochus. Will be slowly building that up as time goes on.

Plus I added substrate. Pics included. Plus people wanted to see some plumbing. Well here it is folks, welcome to my world of simple stupid.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:39 PM

Looking good. Always fun to start adding life. My pump is ready for pick up so I'll be able to really get things moving soon
Old 11-09-2019, 11:40 PM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Looking good. Always fun to start adding life. My pump is ready for pick up so I'll be able to really get things moving soon
Oh the excitement. I love it when all the parts finally come together. Here's to your next sleepless night when you pick up the pump!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello

If that's a filter of some sort on the main drain pipe (right of skimmer) into the sump that's neat.

Titus
Old 11-10-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus View Post
Hello

If that's a filter of some sort on the main drain pipe (right of skimmer) into the sump that's neat.

Titus
Looks like a filter sock
Old 11-10-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus View Post
Hello

Titus
Yes sir. It's a 4" filter sock. They are nice to have. But a pain to clean. Need to have 2 handy because it takes two days to properly and safely clean and dry each one and it takes two to three days to get dirty
Old 11-10-2019, 06:46 AM

Reyphox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
Yes sir. It's a 4" filter sock. They are nice to have. But a pain to clean. Need to have 2 handy because it takes two days to properly and safely clean and dry each one and it takes two to three days to get dirty

I run filter socks as well. I keep about 5-6 handy. I find the washing machine works best and easiest way to clean. Prerise with hot water to flush out detergent. Then a couple caps fulls of bleach, use warm water and an extra rise cycle. Wait a day to dry and yer off to the races with set of clean socks!
Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyphox View Post
I run filter socks as well. I keep about 5-6 handy. I find the washing machine works best and easiest way to clean. Prerise with hot water to flush out detergent. Then a couple caps fulls of bleach, use warm water and an extra rise cycle. Wait a day to dry and yer off to the races with set of clean socks!
Yeah I use the dish washer. And no detergent. Bleach I'll use though. I'm afraid of my clothes washer eating them....it's an evil machine that eats things. Dishwasher on the other hand has been faithful to me.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:13 AM

Not much to report except for the fact that all nutrient levels are nearly at 0. Managed to pick up a frog spawn for a pretty good deal. It acclimated pretty quickly. We'll get shots of it eventually. And by eventually I mean when I can dial my lights back up to at least 30%. It's got some getting used to when it comes to the lighting situation.

I did come across the fact that the flow rate in my tank is to strong for LPS and softies and zoanthids(5500 GPH on a 75 Gallon Tank is SPS worthy). So I removed the tunze and the 2 fluvals in favor of 2 small 350gph fans that are always on and one 1350 GPH fan that is on every minute for one minute intervals all thanks to the Apex Controller that I'm using. And I switched back to the spray nozzle for my return so I can have better flow direction control.

Still having a bitch of a time with tuning the skimmer though. I cleaned it before use. Made sure the needle wheel was good. The air line and intake is unrestricted and I have the skimmer at Bubble Magus recommended depth. So hopefully in a week or so the break in of the skimmer will actually happen.