Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 AM

CandyCane is on a distinguished road
Red face Bocki Octopus

I just got a brand new octopus since my tank hasn't had fish in it for months. It's species is originally from Bali, it is a dwarf and mine is only the size of a quarter when his little legs are tucked in. Little guy is soooo cute! Pics will be up soon as he gets brave enough to come out of his cave. He is currently trying very hard to get some hermit crabs out of their shells for a midnight snack hehe
Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 PM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

We had one for a bit. Usually came out after lights out or would blend into the rock with lights on. Make sure you have a very tight fitting lid or.....it will find a way out. It was very cool to watch moving about and sticking on the glass.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

where did you get this I want one for my classroom....it would be soo cool

KEN IF YOU READE THIS I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

I've had a few I the store and in my personal tank a lot, their life span is 9 months at best, I've even had one spawn in my tank, tonnes of
Baby octopi all around, they are relatively easy to take care of but dont depend on it for long.....

Steve
Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

All of the dwarf species are almost exclusively nocturnal.
You can always put a red light over the tank and leave it on 24/7 or at least when you want to view. They don't see the red spectrum.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 AM

I've got blue moonlights on for night and he romes around and quickly hides again when the room lights come on. This one's life span is probably 6 more months.

Just pulled the little brat out of my filter this morning the gap he fit through to get there is only 2-3mm wide, just shows how amazing these creatures are. Also been sorting through all the shells I put in looking for more crabs.

How often are they supposed to be fed? And has anyone had luck switching from crabs to some kind of inexpensive shrimp or even silversides.....molly fry? Crabs just arent always available.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane View Post
I've got blue moonlights on for night and he romes around and quickly hides again when the room lights come on. This one's life span is probably 6 more months.

Just pulled the little brat out of my filter this morning the gap he fit through to get there is only 2-3mm wide, just shows how amazing these creatures are. Also been sorting through all the shells I put in looking for more crabs.

How often are they supposed to be fed? And has anyone had luck switching from crabs to some kind of inexpensive shrimp or even silversides.....molly fry? Crabs just arent always available.
They are larger species are pretty easy to get going on frozen. Basically you have to win their trust. Once he no longer fears you then you can feed him shrimp on a stick or even by hand. You can check out my videos.

Finally if you need a good source for fiddlers let me know. Shipping is a little expensive but I've ordered several times and they've always come in alive.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 AM

I'd love to see some video's. Aren't fiddlers freshwater because I can get those here if they will live long enough for feeding.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane View Post
I'd love to see some video's. Aren't fiddlers freshwater because I can get those here if they will live long enough for feeding.
No they are brackish / marine. Stupid pet stores put them in fresh water. They actually need access to land but can survive several weeks 100% submerged.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:16 AM

DCDN is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to see pics