Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road
Default Crab Killer? UPDATE: CAPTURED + with pics

First of all I'm not a sadist, that being said I've tried everything to rid my tank of hitch hiker crabs & have been about 85% successful. Some are in the sump area but most went down the toilet. Today I had a bit of a revelation when it came to my laser pointer that I use to point things out when showing people the tank. It can shine into just about any nook in the tank & where I can never catch crabs, I thought about the fact that laser's all come with a warning not to look at or shine into the eyes, so I'm wondering if shining it into the eyes of a zoanthid eating crab, may lead to the death of the m'er f'er? I wonder if a blind or sick crab may just die off saving some of the coral. Laser beams always work in sci-fi movies... right?

Last edited by spawn; 03-14-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: update with pics of a very bad zoa eater
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

lol, ive actually used a laser pointer as a "flashlight" to look around the tank at night. Wether or not it can be used as a weapon not sure. Youd prob want to upgrade to a more powerful beam like this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680xwwEs7Lg

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
First of all I'm not a sadist, that being said I've tried everything to rid my tank of hitch hiker crabs & have been about 85% successful. Some are in the sump area but most went down the toilet. Today I had a bit of a revelation when it came to my laser pointer that I use to point things out when showing people the tank. It can shine into just about any nook in the tank & where I can never catch crabs, I thought about the fact that laser's all come with a warning not to look at or shine into the eyes, so I'm wondering if shining it into the eyes of a zoanthid eating crab, may lead to the death of the m'er f'er? I wonder if a blind or sick crab may just die off saving some of the coral. Laser beams always work in sci-fi movies... right?

I don't know about the laser blinding it, but if you can see it with the laser perhaps you can you get a long pointed tool (like that thingy you use to truss up a turkey) and stab it. I've got several crabs with that thingy.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM

reefan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I don't know about the laser blinding it, but if you can see it with the laser perhaps you can you get a long pointed tool (like that thingy you use to truss up a turkey) and stab it. I've got several crabs with that thingy.
Yeah that may work if you can get your hand in the right position. Worth a try.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Unfortunately he is very fast & extremely cautious from the numerous attempts on his life. I used a filed down coat hanger. Now he is in a place where you can only see him through the lower front of the tank. I will try the laser tonight, if it disorientates him I may be able to skewer him.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick00 View Post
lol, ive actually used a laser pointer as a "flashlight" to look around the tank at night. Wether or not it can be used as a weapon not sure. Youd prob want to upgrade to a more powerful beam like this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680xwwEs7Lg
That's awesome! LOL. Yes with that one victory would be immanent!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 AM

dunl is on a distinguished road

Set up a 20g mantis tank. You should be able to move most pieces of live rock into that with the crab.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Update:
A laser pointer into the eye's at night does not disorient a crab enough, leading to his capture. I came home from work yesterday in the broad daylight & snapped at him from behind, managing to snap off one of his legs. Unfortunately he's consumed probably 60 zoa head's in the last week since the original post. today my wife has gone to an all day yoga-thon which means..... I'm gonna kick some crab ass!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

if hes in a crack shoot some boiling water in there and cook his ass!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

How would you do that? Just with a turkey baster?