Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 PM

mikepclo is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with JBJ chiller

Hey Guys,

Just received my JBJ 1/4 Chiller and I have few concerns. Hope you guys can help as JBJ support are giving me indirect answers.

1)I noticed it making a loud clunking sound when it's moved like the condenser is hitting something. Doesn't take much just a small shift of the unit. Normal???

2)When it's running it makes a "pulsing" hum not the normal constant humming.

3)If I set to turn on at 78F and still doesn't turn on @78.2F using the chiller controller.

4)I prefer to use my Apex to control both heat and chiller for more stable temp but would the chiller get damaged in the long run as it's turned off and on and the 3 mins load time before chilling cause any issues with tempt fluctuation in a pretty hot room?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

1) Mine does it, also had a window air conditioner that did that
2)Never noticed mine pulsing
3)It has been a while since I looked at it but I believe the temp control allows a 2 degree swing. If you set it at 78 it will turn on an 79 and off at 77. Much bigger swing than I would like but hasn't been a problem.
4)Can't imagine the 3 min load time would have any impact on temp swing but its hard to say what impact turning the power on and off would have on the electronics.

JBJs support has been less than useless any time i've contacted them.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM

Thanks! So set to 78 it turns on @ 79? why didnt they just set to turn on 78 and turn on 78 and turn off 77? weird . But that is a big temp swing, anyone experience issues with SPS with a 2 degree F swing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana View Post
1) Mine does it, also had a window air conditioner that did that
2)Never noticed mine pulsing
3)It has been a while since I looked at it but I believe the temp control allows a 2 degree swing. If you set it at 78 it will turn on an 79 and off at 77. Much bigger swing than I would like but hasn't been a problem.
4)Can't imagine the 3 min load time would have any impact on temp swing but its hard to say what impact turning the power on and off would have on the electronics.

JBJs support has been less than useless any time i've contacted them.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM

Blind River Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Chiller

Hello:

Just a bit of back ground. I am a refrigeration (HVAC Tech) by trade so I will try to answer you questions as best as I can.

Temp swing: If the thermostat is set to turn the unit on at 78of then that is when you chiller should start. There is usually what is called a deadband built into the thermostat of the chiller usually around 2 to 3 degrees. I.E. if you set the chiller to turn on at 78 and you have a 2 degree deadband the chiller will turn off at 76. The deadband is necessary because you just can't get that tight a temperature control at .2 degrees. Another reason for the deadband is to prevent what we call short cycling. Once the chiller turns off the refrigerant cycle requires time to equalizes pressure. Not going to go into all that but turning a compressor on and off very quickly is a good way to end it's life.

Your clunking sound when you move the chiller is the motor inside the compressor. The compressor motor is mounted on springs and when you move the chiller the motor (Inside the black dome looking item) hits the side of the casing. Normal to sometime hear this when you move the unit but not okay if it is clunking when the chiller is not being moved and the unit is running. Be gentle when you move the chiller. You may also hear a clunking sound when the chiller shuts off. Once again normal.

Pulsing hum not the normal constant hum not sure what you mean by pulsing hum. What are you comparing the noise to?

In you last question 3 minute load time... If I understand correctly you are using some other type of temperature sensor to turn you chiller on and off?? Here is how I run my chiller. The chiller is on a heavy duty programmable timer. It turns on at 8 am and off at 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. Sat and Sun on at 9:00 am off at 12:30 pm on at 3:00 pm off at 430 pm. My chiller has it's own temperature sensor built in to it just like your and cycles on and off as required as long as the heavy duty timer is energized. Hope this helped you out.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Ooops just saw this reply. Thanks Blind River Joe for your help. Hope the 2 degrees swing wont have any negative effects.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind River Joe View Post
Hello:

Just a bit of back ground. I am a refrigeration (HVAC Tech) by trade so I will try to answer you questions as best as I can.

Temp swing: If the thermostat is set to turn the unit on at 78of then that is when you chiller should start. There is usually what is called a deadband built into the thermostat of the chiller usually around 2 to 3 degrees. I.E. if you set the chiller to turn on at 78 and you have a 2 degree deadband the chiller will turn off at 76. The deadband is necessary because you just can't get that tight a temperature control at .2 degrees. Another reason for the deadband is to prevent what we call short cycling. Once the chiller turns off the refrigerant cycle requires time to equalizes pressure. Not going to go into all that but turning a compressor on and off very quickly is a good way to end it's life.

Your clunking sound when you move the chiller is the motor inside the compressor. The compressor motor is mounted on springs and when you move the chiller the motor (Inside the black dome looking item) hits the side of the casing. Normal to sometime hear this when you move the unit but not okay if it is clunking when the chiller is not being moved and the unit is running. Be gentle when you move the chiller. You may also hear a clunking sound when the chiller shuts off. Once again normal.

Pulsing hum not the normal constant hum not sure what you mean by pulsing hum. What are you comparing the noise to?

In you last question 3 minute load time... If I understand correctly you are using some other type of temperature sensor to turn you chiller on and off?? Here is how I run my chiller. The chiller is on a heavy duty programmable timer. It turns on at 8 am and off at 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. Sat and Sun on at 9:00 am off at 12:30 pm on at 3:00 pm off at 430 pm. My chiller has it's own temperature sensor built in to it just like your and cycles on and off as required as long as the heavy duty timer is energized. Hope this helped you out.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I ran a different brand of 1/4 chiller on my freshwater 125g
I set the differential to 3 degrees
If it was set to 2 degrees, it would short-cycle;
Chiller would only run for about 45 seconds, and would run every 4 mins

With it set to 3 degrees, it would run for about 4 mins and roughly about 4 times/hour
The tank temp was 78F and I never saw it fluctuate, even with the 3 degree differential

My current chiller is a 1/10 on my 75g, with a total of 110g of water
My RKL runs the chiller with a differential of only 0.4 degrees and everything is fine
RKL turns on the chiller, takes a few minutes to power-cycle and sense what is going on, turns on and runs 'till RKL shuts it off
I have the chiller set to 77 (with a 2 degree differential) and run my tank @ 79, so the chiller will always turn on when powered up
Maybe this will fry the chiller processor, but it's worked fine for a year so far
HTH