Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 AM

CandyCane is on a distinguished road

So posted this before reading it was all back to normal but if something like this happens for anyone else heres the steps I would take ===>

I've heard of added oxygen to a system causing fish loss before, its some kind of horrible reaction that oxygen brings out in heavily stocked tanks that were originally very low on oxygen. It doesn't just occur in saltwater tanks it also happens in fresh water ones.
Can you post all of your readings like ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Those could help us out a lot to fix the problem!
Keep doing 20% water changes every 2 days! or little 10% ones everyday for the next week or two!
None of this arguing over the problem will ever fix the problem guys

-Hook the protien skimmer up and don't turn it off. If you think its to loud I would sell it and buy a quiter one you can run all the time

-Email or call the power head company and tell them about the problems you've been having! They will never know their products might have killed your tank or others if people don't let them know!

-If you still have the boxs and recite or the powerheads return them for different ones. I recently baught the same brand and stuck it straight in my tanl as well so the chances must be 1 in a billion

-If your not comfortable with the powerheads add a huge air stone. Gasping fish almost always end up dieing they just can't handle that kind of stress and need tuns of oxygen to possible get them going again

-Do the water changes I suggested earlier for sure!

Tell us your nitrates, nitrites and ammonia levels, I think somethings really up with them.

Last edited by CandyCane; 10-17-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Didnt realize everything was back up and running. woops