Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Flooding happens to everyone in this hobby. Thankfully my tanks are in the basement where I generally could care less if it floods. I have an ATO but needless to say if you turn off the ATO then move the ATO hose out of he sump to clean out a piece of equipment, remember to put the hose back into the tank before plugging the ATO back in I dumped about 10g of water all over the carpet before I realized my stupid mistake
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM

NanoN00b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Flooding happens to everyone in this hobby.
Actually... *knocks on wood*

I have not ever had this happen in four years... Mind you, I was previously in a rental apartment with a 29G BioCube, so we both know there isn't a lot of water like some of the larger tanks I see. And everyone will then say four years isn't long enough of a reference point maybe, but it's all I've got in salt.

Best investment is ATO and a laundry sink for smaller tanks (25-50) and ATO (Built-in or otherwise) plus a salt mixing system that I've seen a lot of people build for larger tanks (50G+) IMO. Again, totally personal opinion. This is not including RO, so lets not go into all the other things, I'm talking about this.

I would say keep it also, but that's me. I've lost fish and coral, usually to my own stupidity - and I continue to work on it.

I've found the two most annoying parts of the hobby for me are water changes and monitoring. Any larger tank that goes in at home will include the salt mixing and ATO, plus monitoring of params, like a RKE NET or something... Yeah, I know it's stupid expensive... but in the long run, knowing something is awry with the heater long before you suspect it is worth it to me, same with salinity changes or pH issues.

All in all, I've heard of lots of floods (hundreds reading forums - a number in RL offline) and other problems (I wouldn't recommend a poor quality ATO either) but all in all - I think I love the hobby enough that I would overcome them.

Wait a second... 995?!?! YOU SHOULD SELL EVERYTHING. TO ME. j/k!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:42 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

you have a great hubby kido leave it and go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef View Post
Oh it's killing me. Hubby is more than willing to invest into the tank to make sure we have the bells and whistles to help prevent this from happening again. Its absolutely heart breaking after all the work we've done, and all those who've helped us put it together.

I'm so upset with this whole thing, I honestly cannot get myself to do this. For now, the tank is going to stay in storage until I spend more time at home and I can physically see the tank and stay there with it.

Jaro appreciate your interest. IF I were to still sell it, it would be everything as a whole, not pieces-as per the add description.