Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road
Default Car lighting help - Adding aftermarket LED Day time running lights

Well since the idiots on the car forum seem to be as obnoxious as ever and totally useless I thought id try here, hey why not! People here do all sorts of lighting and wiring with tanks... why not cars?

So I have a Mitsubishi RVR - 2013.
I have installed HIDs to replace all front lighting. Fogs, Headlights, and highbeams.
This vehicle uses the same single filament bulb for DTR's as headlight, just half the current for DTR's so their not as bright. With the roll of my switch it provides full current = brighter light (with halogens atleast)
Because the HID's don't tolerate that, when my switch is on DTR they flicker, and are steady when I have Headlights switched on.
I want to purchase aftermarket LED's to use as daytime running lights so I don't have to drive around with my headlights on all the time.

How would I wire something like that in so it all still works off the same switch?
Do I need to pull my DTR fuse or something like that then wire the DTR's off a relay direct to battery? but I keep seeing some of those diagrams being connected to another light wire somehow...
I don't know cars... this is confusing for me!
Diagrams, Videos, whatever, help is much appreciated!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:43 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

If you have a separate DTR relay, I think you could run your new lights off of it, but this may involve re-wiring your HIDs as I suspect the factory wiring may have a common link

If you can find a factory wiring diagram maybe we can help
Old 04-01-2015, 03:14 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Just throwing it out there , hid`s don't work as fog lights in the fog .The light just gets thrown back in your face .halogens work better especialy in the yellow range .
Old 04-01-2015, 04:03 AM
Follows the rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech View Post
Just throwing it out there , hid`s don't work as fog lights in the fog .The light just gets thrown back in your face .halogens work better especialy in the yellow range .
I don't really use them to light up in the fog, if I could rename them to ditch lights I would. With their low and bright spread they give me enough extra light to help see the deer that look like their contemplating suicide. I notice a big difference in the amount of eye reflection I get with them on vs off
I don't have any of my lights pointed stupid high and with the headlights being in proper projector lenses they don't "spread" and they do quite well with the fog so I typically just use those when it gets really foggy.

Im looking through google with no success on a light wiring diagram.... Will keep looking and scanning forums. I don't think theres a full out diagram in my manual either. Doesn't help that this vehicle has 3 totally different names depending what country your in.

Its one of those moments where I feel the need to throw in the "Im a girl and I know nothing about cars" white flag lol

I sort of want something a long the lines of this for my DTR's
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...300148554.html

Last edited by Coasting; 04-01-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:29 AM
Follows the rules!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ASX-2...527383671.html
This set here near the bottom of the description says Id connect it with the wire of my headlight or signal (I think they mean markers/park lights) so when I flick headlights on the DRL's turn off.
I would obviously still have to figure out how to get the Headlights to not be on at all then when I have my switch in just DRL mode.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:28 AM
On Hiatus

Ya that sounds like a plan using the markers and a new relay to power the new lights.
So try pulling the DRL fuse as you thought and see if the headlights still work properly in night mode.
I know back in the 90s Suzuki/GM had the 2 circuits connected together. If either the DRL or Headlamp fuse went out the Headlights were dim.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:54 AM
On Hiatus

Even if the above works, you'd still have to add a toggle switch for the new LEDs.
I have an idea with 3 new relays involved, but you'd have to tamper with the existing wiring.

You'd need to put a relay between the DRL fuse and the headlights. This would be called relay #2
So, relay #1 gets it's signal from the Headlight power circuit, but does not interrupt it. Contact #87 goes to relay #2 DRL circuit and is the signal input. When in Headlight mode, both fuses power the Headlights.

Relay #3 gets it's signal from contact #87A on relay #1 and powers your new LEDs. Don't forget to add a fuse to the LED power line.

When in DRL mode there's no signal to relay #1 thus killing all power to the Headlamps - contact #87 on relay #1 is open. And with the third relay your LEDs would be on.
When in Headlight mode, contact #87A on relay #1 is opened killing the signal to your LEDs.

It's late and someone may see a flaw in my thinking, but it should work.
I'd have to draw it all out.

Going to try to go back to sleep now

Last edited by gregzz4; 04-01-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:31 AM

NIVLEM09 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Toytech,Halogen(low beam) is better than HID when it's foggy.light doesn't reflect back.also,if it isn't factory installed(HIDs)it's illegal...depends on the pig(officer) it has happened to me three times before....
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 AM

NIVLEM09 is on a distinguished road

But if you insist on using LEDs I can do it for you free of charge...all you need to do is drive to North Vancouver on my day off!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:25 PM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVLEM09 View Post
I can do it for you free of charge
How would you wire them in ?

I had a thought about my idea while falling asleep earlier this morning.
If you go with relays and want everything running off the headlamp switch;
-if the LEDs are low draw you can run the power for their relay from an ignition source.
-if the LEDs are high draw, you'll want to use a fourth relay. This one will carry the load from the battery so you don't melt your ignition wiring and get it's signal from either the ignition or a marker lamp. Depends how you want them to act.

If you don't control them with the ignition, you'll need a toggle to turn them off and the 4th relay will solve this.

Last edited by gregzz4; 04-01-2015 at 01:30 PM.