Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2013, 03:53 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road
Default Vertex Omega 150 review

Hi there,

In case you missed my previous couple of threads I had a blown impeller on my old Vertex In-180. This led me down the road to a new skimmer. Once I discovered the pump was likely damaged and a new impeller was going to be $50 I started looking at replacement pumps. Upon discovering that an upgraded replacement pump could run me $200+ including the impeller I thought of plan B which would be a new skimmer! What clinched the choice for a new skimmer was when my wife said, you've had that one for at least 6 years now... probably time for something new anyways

So, not wanting to go with something made in China ruled out the bubble Magus line for me, bubble kings are WAY out of my price range. I considered the reef octopus, but reviews and brand familiarity brought me back to the Vertex line. So, yesterday morning I placed my order through J&L and accidentally hit submit after deciding that overnight shipping was too expensive. So, bright and early this morning UPS was at my door with a shiny new Omega skimmer for me!

DSC01103.jpg by CDeeth, on Flickr

Now that you've suffered through the back story I'll share my first impressions.
- Packaging could be a lot sturdier. It arrived in perfect condition so maybe I'm just paranoid, but I thought the packaging was pretty skimpy for shipping. The box J&L sent it in was a good size with appropriate air bags. What bugged me the most was the fact that the odds and ends pieces were pretty much loose in their own compartment. They couldn't bump up against the skimmer body but they could definitely roll around on their own a little.

DSC01102.jpg by CDeeth, on Flickr
- It feels like a very solidly built piece of equipment. The materials are heavier and feel like a higher quality manufacture than the in-180

- It's much smaller than I expected it to be, which leads me to be a little concerned that it's too small. That said, the In-180 was almost double the size I really need so maybe this one will be more consistent. Here's a comparison shot between the in-180 and the omega 150

DSC01105.jpg by CDeeth, on Flickr

DSC01108.jpg by CDeeth, on Flickr

- Noise: it's a little noisier than I expected, quieter than the 180 but many reviewers claimed theirs was whisper quiet. Hopefully it'll improve with time as it breaks in!

- My other concern is the size of the collection cup. I really wish it was a lot bigger. It's got the drain in it so I can hook it up to a hose and let it drain into a larger container, but I always worry that in the case of an overflow I'd end up trying to fit most of my tank into a two litre pop bottle.

- It's REALLY pulling in air and water. I just have it cascading over the top with the standpipe closed right now as the manual recommends to help break it in but it looks to me like I've got a much more powerful "current" inside and the bubbles are a LOT finer in the skimmer body.

DSC01109.jpg by CDeeth, on Flickr

I'll update this in a few days with my impressions once it starts skimming! Hopefully it works as good as it looks!