Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 AM

zhasan is on a distinguished road

WAO!! This is already looking awesome!! Looking forward to see it shape up into an awesome setup!!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

atta boy mike , looks great i was wondering when this was gonna get posted lol

if you decide to go black i could snag you some vinyl and come over and throw it on with you , its easy peasy japanesy!!

ps the volcanoe tank is one of the biggest inspirations in reefing i have and love that tank
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Looks great but honestly I'd scrape off the blue Krylon and put black. 1) Black looks better and makes colours pop more, and 2) It would match the overflow. One of my biggest regrets with my current tank was that I went blue instead of black (one day I'll change it but it's far easier before it's set up than after).

I was thinking that. But the overflow will be completely covered by the rock structure. So I might leave it for now. I want to upgrade to a rimless starfire eventually, so this tank will be scrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris88 View Post
looks like an amazing build. I do think you need to broaden your spectrum with your lighting. you are going to need to add some 420nm and 650nm leds or add a couple of t5s to help fill the gap. What are you planning on keeping in regards to live stock?
The blues are actually 420nm. The others are 10K. It has a great look as far as color because each color is dimable, so I can mix it as needed. As far as growth, I can't see this being 'not enough' considering there is 96 X 3W LED's. Thats more than enough. Modular LED sells kits for 6 foot tanks that have 128 X 3W LED's, so I think i'll be ok on the 50 gallon. I also have some red and green LED's to mount into the canopy when it is finished to add other color spectrums.

Stock will be mostly softies with some birdsnest SPS and monti's.

The 'gap' in the LED rack is to accomodate the tall rock structure that will be out of the water. I don't want direct light on it, as I think that would cause algae problems.

I still might do the 2 X 250W Halide pendants. Not sure yet. I'll try the LED's for now and see how they do.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Gonna throw some baking soda and vinegar in that volcano too? (ahhh, elementry school!)

Looks good so far.. Curious to see how you like that Curve 7 skimmer.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

I must have miss read your original post. I didn't realize you had that many LEDs. I that case you are more then covered for par. You also made a good call on the 420nm LEDs as the 10k has a good spike in the 460nm range already. I look forward to seeing it when it's complete.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Gonna throw some baking soda and vinegar in that volcano too? (ahhh, elementry school!)

Yeah i'm very curious to see how it will perform. I'm hoping it will blow my mind! lol.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post

Yah that way too elementary school and no fun! I heard mentos + soda (a little red color with it) makes it look much better

@Mike: When are you going to post some more pics? Can't wait to see new pics
Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Now ya'll got me thinking about changing the background color lol. I just really don't want to razor blade all that. It's tough sometimes. I wish there was just a solvent I could rub on it and it would magically come off in one swipe!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Now ya'll got me thinking about changing the background color lol. I just really don't want to razor blade all that. It's tough sometimes. I wish there was just a solvent I could rub on it and it would magically come off in one swipe!
I think nail polish remover should work.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

A little bit of water and a razor blade and maybe 10 minutes of elbow grease .. yeah, I can see that being a drag.

My excuse for my 280g is not the removal .. it's more the putting-back-on now that I have running tanks in the tank room. I'd rather not spray at all actually, which limits the choice to something roll on, or a removable background. Totally doable and there's no excuse that I don't do it other than as a purely cosmetic issue it takes a lower priority than a couple other projects on the go...

Do it!!!