Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Just a quick update on my recent sock cleaning experience. Some have suggested washing without bleach. I tried that, and after a lot of washing and rinsing, they were still not clean. These 200 micron CPR socks are too thick and stiff to turn inside out, so it is very difficult to wash loose the crud that is stuck in the fibres.

I then soaked them in a bucket with some bleach for a couple days. And almost like magic, the crud was dissolved and easily washed out, clean and white. It took a couple more cycles of rinsing in clear water and then drying to get rid of the bleach smell. But at the end of a week, they were ready for use again.

These large socks easily last a week for me, so a weekly cycle is just the right amount of time to get them cleaned and ready for use again.

Thanks again to everyone for all your suggestions.

Also, for your interest, here are a couple pics of the sock hangar I made out of a scrap piece of lexan. I like working with lexan, as it is easy to cut and shape/form similar to a thin sheet of metal, but is incredibly strong. Works perfectly.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Just a quick update on my recent sock cleaning experience. Some have suggested washing without bleach. I tried that, and after a lot of washing and rinsing, they were still not clean. These 200 micron CPR socks are too thick and stiff to turn inside out, so it is very difficult to wash loose the crud that is stuck in the fibres.

I then soaked them in a bucket with some bleach for a couple days. And almost like magic, the crud was dissolved and easily washed out, clean and white. It took a couple more cycles of rinsing in clear water and then drying to get rid of the bleach smell. But at the end of a week, they were ready for use again.

These large socks easily last a week for me, so a weekly cycle is just the right amount of time to get them cleaned and ready for use again.

Thanks again to everyone for all your suggestions.

Also, for your interest, here are a couple pics of the sock hangar I made out of a scrap piece of lexan. I like working with lexan, as it is easy to cut and shape/form similar to a thin sheet of metal, but is incredibly strong. Works perfectly.

Nice job on the hanger, I bought 2 - 200 micron x14" and 2- 100 micron x14", have not used any yet with my new set up. which one should I start with?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown lover View Post
Nice job on the hanger, I bought 2 - 200 micron x14" and 2- 100 micron x14", have not used any yet with my new set up. which one should I start with?
I have only used the 200 micron as that was what was recommended to me. Seems to be just right for my bio load and lasts a full week before having to change it. It is a 7 X 16 inch size sock, though, so lots of capacity.

You might want to try both, and see which one works best for you. If you can get more than a few days with your 100 micron, that should provide the cleanest water.

My 200 micron sock is the felt fibre type. I was told that the mesh ones clog up faster.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown lover View Post
be nice if somehow the polished water from the 200 went into the 100.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
be nice if somehow the polished water from the 200 went into the 100.
Well, you could make another hanger that just sat on top of the main hanger raising the sock by about 1 inch. Then have the 100 micron on the bottom main hanger, and the 200 on top draining into the 100 sock underneath.

I think that would be a little overkill. I still expect the skimmer to do its job of nutrient export. The 200 micron sock does a good enough job of catching the bigger bits which helps my skimmer last longer before having to clean off the build-up in the neck.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:49 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Update ...
I haven't been happy with the residual smell of chlorine, so I've stopped using bleach and my socks come out clean enough

Turn inside out, rinse very well under hi pressure in laundry tub, into washer on gentle and warm water for 2 cycles
Turn right side out and wash 2 more times
Stand up on ring to dry

I could probably get away with 1/2 the wash cycles, but our water is not yet metered
Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I've used bleach from the first time i've washed my filter socks. But I do 2 rinse cycles afterwards. The smell goes away once they dry.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

How much bleach do you use ?
I was using about 1 cup of bleach
Even after 3 more wash cycles, I could still smell something once they dried
Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 AM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

I use 1 cap full if that cleans three at once for me, Ive been soaking in a pail to wait till I got 3 to wash so Im trying to decide if its better to soak just in water - smells bad or put some bleach in there too, but makes them really smell of bleach.

brent
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
How much bleach do you use ?
I was using about 1 cup of bleach
Even after 3 more wash cycles, I could still smell something once they dried
Just over a cup for 6 of the felt socks.