Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I must be doing something wrong. I get less than 24 hours out of mine before they're overflowing, and there isn't even any fish in my tank at the moment.

I noticed I started getting way less time out of them when I switched from a herbie to a durso, has anyone else noticed bubbles in their overflow water making the filter socks clog up faster? I've got 7 socks, so I'm doing a dedicated filter sock load once a week.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Adam, when I was using mesh ( Poly ) socks, I was lucky to only use 2 sets per DAY
Same as you - they would overflow very quickly

Since I've switched to felt I've had no issues, and I have to remember to change them weekly as they seem to last forever now

Last edited by gregzz4; 11-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

What brand/micron size are you using? My sump was built for square filter socks, and I've been having a hard time finding any for order online. I would happily switch if it meant I could get a couple of days out of them.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

You'll have to change your hanger if you buy the ones I use
They are round and have a plastic mounting ring

Aqueon 200 Micron sock

These Vertex ones plugged up more than once a day, even though they are 300 Micron vs the 200 I use now
Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, I just did my first cleaning using bleach. After pre-rinsing, I let it soak in a pail with bleach added for a day, and then thoroughly rinsed it again before letting it sit in fresh water for another day.

I removed it from the fresh water, and rinsed it again. But to my surprise, I can still detect a faint odor of bleach on the filter bag. I haven't dried it yet, so maybe that is still necessary.

But I assume bleach is very bad for my tank. How much is allowable? Is rinsing and soaking in fresh water for a couple days enough?

I haven't gone the clothes washer route yet, but might try that in the future, if I buy some extras.

I am using the CPR 7" 200 micron socks with the plastic handles. They are very thick and stiff, and was not able to turn them inside out for easier rinsing.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Didn't get a response to my last post. Still wondering about the lingering effects of the bleach soaking, and how much rinsing and soaking in fresh water afterwards is necessary to ensure no impact to my display tank.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

don't use bleach.....not required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Well, I just did my first cleaning using bleach. After pre-rinsing, I let it soak in a pail with bleach added for a day, and then thoroughly rinsed it again before letting it sit in fresh water for another day.

I removed it from the fresh water, and rinsed it again. But to my surprise, I can still detect a faint odor of bleach on the filter bag. I haven't dried it yet, so maybe that is still necessary.

But I assume bleach is very bad for my tank. How much is allowable? Is rinsing and soaking in fresh water for a couple days enough?

I haven't gone the clothes washer route yet, but might try that in the future, if I buy some extras.

I am using the CPR 7" 200 micron socks with the plastic handles. They are very thick and stiff, and was not able to turn them inside out for easier rinsing.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Vendor

Royal Aquariums is on a distinguished road

I put a dash of bleach in the washing machine with my filter socks from time to time. I've never had negative effects.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Cap full of bleach with a bucket of water to soak is fine. I usually soak it for a week or so before the whole batch is ready for the laundry machine. I use a cap full of bleach also in the wash cycle. After the wash it gets air dried. Important part to remember is to make sure the socks are fully dried as the bleach will evaporate once its fully dried. I have used this method for years with no ill effects.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM

Thanks again for the responses. I haven't dried the sock yet, but will do that long before I use it. I just bought 4 more today, so have 6 in total. That will allow me to set up a regular cycle, where I can clean and wash several at a time. I ran the first one 5 days before changing, and it was still only about 2/3 of the way dirty, so looks like a sock should last a full week, no problem.

BTW, J&L has these CPR socks on sale right now. They are definitely large socks (7" x 16") with lots of capacity.