Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 10-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road
Default Brightwell bio brick

Thought I would show people this new product I got from brightwell it's called a bio brick.

Here a write up from brightwell

Xport Bioplate is a new biomedia product from Brightwell Aquatics which can satisfy the most demanding needs for biological filtration. We’ve seen this form of molded biomedia products for years but Brightwell has actually been perfecting the ‘recipe’ for this loaf of biologically active surface area for many years now.

The new Brightwell Xport Bioplates are ceramic bricks with a huge surface area due to a huge concentration of microscopic and nano sized pores. The total surface area of each Xport Bioplate is upwards of 97,000 square feet that brightwell claims can treat up to 1,250 gallons of aquarium water each.

So the brick got a quick ro rinse, then doped in a large zip lock bag full of tank water and aquaforest pro bio s (bacteria source) over night. Next day it was placed in sump on egg crate stand so top 1/4 inch or so is exposed to air. Last step is adding a slow water source over the top.
More pics

Most of this info of propper use came straight from the owner of brightwell aquatics thanks to jess 😀 my brick has been in my new system for about a week I'm hoping it will help create a healthy environment with minimal live rock. Right now nitrates in system are 0 and phosphates are anywhere between .02-.07 I'll keep everyone updated on how this works out.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:17 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

I didn't realise it was actually the size of a brick.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:47 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

what did it cost roughly?
Old 10-25-2016, 04:51 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I have it fully submerged in my tank and it has been doing wonders. NO3 went from 10 plus to 2 ppm in less than 2 weeks. These blocks are embedded with sulfur hence the dramatic reduction in NO3. I got another one coming from JL aquatics as they will be carrying it. Great product, would recommend anyone who has trouble keeping their NO3 down to give it a try.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 10-25-2016, 04:52 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
what did it cost roughly?
I think JL will have them around 50-60 bucks

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 10-25-2016, 05:38 PM

Rich the no3 brick is embedded with sulfur not the bio brick not sure what yours is. Mine was 36 american if I remember correctly.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 PM

not on j and l website yet
Old 10-25-2016, 06:53 PM

website says this

You can use more bricks than the capacity shown above. You can't have too much filtration, the bacterial growth will be self limiting. It is prudent to use a whole brick even in smaller systems down to about 50 U.S. gallons. If the system is smaller than that, then use the cubes instead. For nitrification, or removal of ammonia and nitrite, employing the brick aerobically, or above the water line will provide maximum results. To do this, mount the brick in air, above the water level, and run a small stream of water through the brick. It is not necessary or desirable to run the whole flow of the main system pump through the brick. A flow of about 40 to 80 liters per hour is ideal. An adjustable flow control will allow you to adjust the water flow to only that which will flow through (and not around) the brick. On the other hand, removing nitrate is an anaerobic process and limiting oxygen to the brick as much as possible will maximize the nitrate removal. In this case, mount the brick beneath the water surface in the sump in a very low flow area, if possible.

To use one brick for both aerobic nitrification and anaerobic denitrification, mount the brick below the water surface and provide medium flow around it. The bacteria growing in the top 1/4" of the surface of the brick will be aerobic and will use up all the oxygen so that the inside of the brick goes anoxic or anaerobic. Anaerobic denitrifying bacteria will then colonize the internal surfaces of the brick and you will get both nitrification on the surface and denitrification in the internal parts.

While the BIO Brick will perform both nitrification and denitrification, if your need is primarily for denitrification, you should purchase the NO3 Brick instead or in addition.

One important criteria in marine systems is gas exchange. Xport is the best bacterial media in the world, but it is not good at gas exchange. Bio balls are the best for gas exchange, so any system will work better with a small stack of bio balls placed in the main flow (in air).
Old 10-26-2016, 11:02 PM

Wow this is a much better explanation thanks dino
Old 01-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Help my brick is crumbling apart? I guess I'll try to contact JL to see if they can help