Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-08-2022, 05:36 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Anyone on Telus Fiber using Neptune Apex?

I have my Apex set up and it keeps restarting. Through tech support, i was able to isolate the network was causing the restarts.

Tech support asked me to Reserve IP for the Apex but when I go into my Telus Fiber router (Technicolor FXA5000), there is no function to Reserve IP.

I was able to assign a static IP to my APEX and I turned DHCP off on the Apex and assigned it the static IP. But it is still restarting about 6-10x per hour according to the syslog.txt

Anybody have any insight or experience with this?a
Old 11-08-2022, 06:53 PM

Gools is on a distinguished road

I have no insight, but am experiencing problems with my apex, and I just switched over to Telus just over a month ago. I have my outlets that keep turning off and on, the only time it stops is when I completely unplug my apex from the internet. So basically I have to use the process of elimination on all my smart devices throughout my house. Beyond frustrating
Old 11-08-2022, 07:27 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I too have been going through this hassle. I've had Neptune tech support look at it, Telus has been back to look at it and have an open thread on the Neptune forum about it. I have the NAH20A router (access hub) and the Boost 2 wifi setup. So far I've tried just about every possible setting that I can in both the hub and wifi devices and the only thing that I've been able to make work is to activate the Guest Network on the wifi and log the Apex and only the Apex into that. I know this is a networking issue somehow, but cannot isolate what is causing it. I have nothing new on the network from before when there were no issues, so I don't think its another device, at least not directly. I get the same problem even using a wired connection direct to the hub.

There is also an option for a SmartHome network to be activated in the wifi and that can be just to 2.4 MHz only which many older or less bandwidth demanding smart devices run on like stereos, TVs, smart appliances and the like. I did try that for the Apex, but it still had the same issues. The only reason I can think of for it working on the guest network is because that is an encrypted signal that blocks it from seeing anything else on the network and vice versa. I did set up a reserved DHCP for the Apex in the hub to keep the same IP address for it - sort of like a static IP but allows the continued use of DHCP without having to manually configure a static IP.

If anyone comes up with a full solution, I'd like to hear it as well.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.

Last edited by BMW Rider; 11-08-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:01 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

I went through a process of elimination with Netpune support, removing devices from my network, because they said it had to be one of my other devices causing the issue. In the end they wanted me to send it to them and pay a really high fee.

The issue is clearly a firmware bug with the apex since it works fine when not connected to the network. Even if a device on my network was malfunctioning, that is not a valid reason for the Apex to begin repeatedly restarting.

I was able to get around the issue by installing a router at the Apex, which isolates it on a separate network. It is not an ideal solution, but it works and I never got around to troubleshooting beyond that.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:31 AM

That is essentially what I have by using the Guest network on my Telus WiFi booster device. I don't know what is going on with this either, I'm not sure if it is with the Apex or the network, but something does not play well together between them.

Ed
Old 11-22-2022, 03:00 PM

I don't doubt that something on the network is causing the Apex to reboot, but that honestly shouldn't be possible. The fact that I am not the only one with the issue makes me think it is not likely a malfunctioning device, but likely the Apex having issues with the latest networking protocols.

Either way, the Apex shouldn't be rebooting because of network issues. That is a big firmware bug.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 11-22-2022, 05:22 PM

Default does this work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
That is essentially what I have by using the Guest network on my Telus WiFi booster device. I don't know what is going on with this either, I'm not sure if it is with the Apex or the network, but something does not play well together between them.
were you able to fix the issue by using the guest network?
Old 11-22-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Ethernet or Wifi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana View Post
I went through a process of elimination with Netpune support, removing devices from my network, because they said it had to be one of my other devices causing the issue. In the end they wanted me to send it to them and pay a really high fee.

The issue is clearly a firmware bug with the apex since it works fine when not connected to the network. Even if a device on my network was malfunctioning, that is not a valid reason for the Apex to begin repeatedly restarting.

I was able to get around the issue by installing a router at the Apex, which isolates it on a separate network. It is not an ideal solution, but it works and I never got around to troubleshooting beyond that.
did you connect your APEX with ethernet to this router or wifi?
Old 11-22-2022, 10:26 PM

I think it is connected by ethernet, but I could switch it to wifi easy enough.

Old 11-23-2022, 03:35 AM

Mine is working well on the guest network. It will hold the connection for several days or more. It only seems to be when there has been a network outage or disruption that causes it to need to reconnect. The downside of the Guest network is that you cannot communicate directly to the Apex like if you want to pull a system log because the guest network is encrypted to prevent devices from accessing your regular network and vice versa. I have a hunch though that that is what keeps the Apex from getting messed up by other network traffic.

I wanted to run an ethernet connection direct to the router, but that did not work just like the main wifi connection. I don't really consider this fixed, but it is functional.

Ed