Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 PM

fishmanty is on a distinguished road

I had some DIY lighting... 4 55watt pc's, all overdriven, that cost me $130, and $30 for the reflector... Thats a lot cheaper than buying a coralife setup.

Other than that, most of the time the supplies cost about the same as the store bought project.... and sometimes, or atleast in my case, it looks better
Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

Yes, fair enough. My DIY sump/fuge were cheaper too, as was my DIY Overflow box.

I just wanted to point out the flip side of some DIY projects, so that people know before they jump in. You'll definitely get personal satisfaction from building a higher quality, customized product, but you will pay for it. In both Time and Money. Plus Murphy's Law is always there to prove itself. So you have to weigh those options. Else you can pay a premium up front for a retail product, and you'll have it right away. So it depends on what you're looking for, and what you're willing to give up.

But again, dont get me wrong, I jumped in to this DIY thing whole heartedly, and I actually learned a LOT about the various trades involved. It was very rewarding, and I'm already thinking about how I'd improve on some things for the next time.

Famous Last Words: Measure Twice, Cut Once!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
There are some DIY projects that might cost more than retail, but IMO that would mean you ended up with something mucher higher quality and customized than retail.

And for a lot of projects, DIY is actually cheaper, even if you do go over budget by a bit. For example, I have done 2 lighting hoods that were much cheaper going with a retrofit kit and DIY hood compared to buying a complete unit. My Auto-top of system is cheaper than retail by far. My sump is DIY with an old tank and baffles, FAR cheaper than buying a retail sump.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yes for me the reward already has been immense. I've never had a space to mess around in and now having a basement allows me to do just that. This stand will surely cost more than a retail one but in the end I made it, I know it's strong, and i can make it exactly as I want it (with my limited skillset). Plus, like you said, It's a chance to learn. I'm on a computer all day and it's nice to do some hands-on work like this.

I expect to save on the canopy as I bought a retrofit 250 W MH fixture but I wouldn't be surprised if I spend as much or more than a comparable retail unit by the time I'm done putting fans in etc.

Brett
Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

Good to hear, Brett! You know what's weird for me, I actually bought a ready-made DIY hood that had 2 x MH moguls, spider reflectors, fans, grills, and 2 x 250W Icecap ballasts, shipped from a guy in the states, and it was significantly ($100?) cheaper than buying those parts locally, even after shipping and duties.

I just took the parts out and put them into my own DIY hood.

Having done these projects, I cant wait to get my own fixer-upper house and renovate it myself, just like those home improvement shows! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight
Yes for me the reward already has been immense. I've never had a space to mess around in and now having a basement allows me to do just that. This stand will surely cost more than a retail one but in the end I made it, I know it's strong, and i can make it exactly as I want it (with my limited skillset). Plus, like you said, It's a chance to learn. I'm on a computer all day and it's nice to do some hands-on work like this.

I expect to save on the canopy as I bought a retrofit 250 W MH fixture but I wouldn't be surprised if I spend as much or more than a comparable retail unit by the time I'm done putting fans in etc.

Brett
Old 02-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hehe, I love your writing. Pretty funny stuff

Great looking stand. Reminds me of my own, built by my dad (he has the better tools and needed a "retirement project"). I call it the Tank for the tank.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Way past my bedtime AGAIN.

But I made some minor progress with the stand:

http://www.reef.thelastlight.net/#feb_6_2006

Brett
Old 02-07-2006, 02:30 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Looking good. A circular saw with an edge guide would be easier and more accurate than a jigsaw for those types of cuts in the future. They are about $99 for a laser guided one at sears or cantire.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Yeah you're probably right about the accuracy. I was worried about wrecking the laminated maple edges with the circular saw as my blade isn't all that new. Maybe I'll pick up a new blade for it test it on a scrap piece.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Brett
Old 02-07-2006, 06:05 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

I used a router with a flush-cut bit on my stand.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:22 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

If you do get a new blade ask about a Carbide Triple Chip blade at the hardware store.