Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM

zooz is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for your input. I think Steel is the way to go with this project. I feel if it will be difficult to do maintenance on a tank due to small and confined space and so one will neglect the tank. I want maintenance something quick and easy and a steel stand will offer this advantage.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

I have had a wooden stand for over 20 years under my 50 gallon now its under a 40 gallon fresh. Made it and painted it with about 10 - 15 coats of Urethane. Not a single sign of rot. I also had another one made and coated it with the same amount only this time it was coated inside and out. It will be under a 20 gallon. Both stands have an open back for cords and hoses to run.

Last edited by reef-keeper; 09-04-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added a comment.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:15 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

Steel over wood

1.) less material needed to make stand, giving you more freedom underneath
2.) The fears of rusting are far greater than it actually happening since most have paint on them. There are coating systems out there for steel submerged underwater 24hrs a day. Steel will still last longer in bare form that wood if you are drenching both with saltwater. the time it will take to compromise the structure with splashes of saltwater, you'll be out of the hobby before you need to worry.
3.) Easier to move (likely lighter) and more rigid - will not bow overtime

things the can detour you from steel:

1.) it can leave a rust stain if you have this on carpet and have poor coating. But with saltwater aquariums there are bigger things that can go wrong and we just have to accept in the hobby
2.) Cost for most people, it seems for a hobby where its not unusual to spend thousands upon thousands, Drawing the line on a couple hundred dollar stand isn't uncommon. Expect most businesses to charge a minimum of $500 and over a thousand depending what you want.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

My next stand will be t-slot aluminum.