Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 PM

zooz is on a distinguished road
Default Wood and Steel stand owners

So I am building a ~187G peninsula style tank in our main floor to divide the living and dining room. The sump will likely be in the basement below. What is everyones take on wood vs steel?

I know Steel is more $$ but can rust

Wood is cheaper but some tell me it can bow overtime?

I have seen many very well built stands with 2x4 and 2x6. I was thinking something like this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1169964

Please share your experience if you own steel or stand and what you like/dislike of each.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

IMO both are equally strong and water resistant if built properly, both can get quite expensive depending on how fancy you want to make it

In the end it comes down to the look you want out of your stand
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road

There are pros n cons to each. Steel rusts ( unless coated properly). It is stronger than wood, and can take a wack or two without damage. However, one needs to know welding or handy metal skills to make properly. One doesn't need a whole lot of material to build a stong stand, just proper structural know how.
Wood seems a bit more intensive. It rots and expands where water touches if not coated. A lot of material is needed to obtain decent strength. It is however nicer to finish and match the house crown moulding or style etc.
I've built metal stands and haven't had issues with rust as I had the stand sandblasted and industrial primed, then coated heavily with a waterproof/rust proof paint.
It's preference really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 PM

zooz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmeJReefer View Post
There are pros n cons to each. Steel rusts ( unless coated properly). It is stronger than wood, and can take a wack or two without damage. However, one needs to know welding or handy metal skills to make properly. One doesn't need a whole lot of material to build a stong stand, just proper structural know how.
Wood seems a bit more intensive. It rots and expands where water touches if not coated. A lot of material is needed to obtain decent strength. It is however nicer to finish and match the house crown moulding or style etc.
I've built metal stands and haven't had issues with rust as I had the stand sandblasted and industrial primed, then coated heavily with a waterproof/rust proof paint.
It's preference really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it is coated and stained will it still rot and bow overtime? I understand it may if you get a lot of water spilled on it but I will have the sump in the basement so humidity and water are not a issue.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Which one are you personally able to do? Can you weld or do you have the carpentry tools? Or are you going to have to hire out and pay for the work? How do you want the finished product to look? Is it going to be framed into a divider wall or standing alone? If its standing alone are you going to leave it exposed or cover it with wood or some sort of synthetic panelling?

If your main concerns with wood are rotting and warping you can use pressure treated lumber and include a layer of Styrofoam between the top of the stand and bottom of the tank to compress and compensate for any irregularities.

My own stand for a 120gal is made out of regular No2 SPF 2x4s, I built it 8 years ago, its not coated with anything and its still standing. Since I'm a Carpenter and the tank is now built in-wall that was the most practical thing to do. If I was a welder and I wanted the tank presented in some other way I probably would have made it out of metal. Do what you are able to do with the skills that you have for the finished product that you want.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

It depends if you want a stand or a piece of furniture.

If you want a piece of furniture. If you get a steal stand you'll still probably have to get a wooden skirt.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Steel all the way!! My 165 gal was on a steel stand for a couple of yrs, many leak and issues with the tank over that time and when I took it down there was not one speck of rust on it anywhere ( I used marine enamel paint )

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Steel all the way!!
Not that you're biased at all
Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I have had wood stands in the past before I had the place to build all my own stuff, they got mold, where actually heavier then metal and did not have as much room as metal stands do.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Reef_aholic is on a distinguished road

I have built several steel stands. Making a wood panel skirting is easy. I counter sink in rare earth magnets, when you lean the skirting up against the steel, the magnets hold it in place. When you have to do any work what so ever under the tank, you simply remove the panels, work away. With steel, there is much more room under there as well. Less bracing, less frame work, more room for sumps and equip, and easier for servicing. My stands I finish off with some nice trim and stain when I am done, I will try and get pictures later when I'm home.