Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

1/4" over 6 feet isn't much to worry about, but it's a good thing to keep an eye on if it changes again
You could try re-levelling it with the stand feet, but do it in tiny bits and evenly between each foot to avoid scary things happening

No scary stuff yet, but let's think about the future
If it continues to sag to one side, are you able to put a jack post under it on the floor below ?

When we had a freshwater 6' 125g against a load-bearing 6" 2x wall.
Our tank still listed a bit to starboard (by the same as your 1/4"), and a bit aft
It was a bit disconcerting to stand in the middle of the room and be able to create waves by bouncing off our heels while keeping our toes on the floor .....
Our tank spanned most of the joists, but missed the last one

With a room width of over 12 feet, the joists just weren't meant to handle the weight

I thought about a post setup in the recroom but would have needed to build a cabinet where I didn't want one, just to hide the post - about 24" away from the load-bearing wall

I just kept the amount of traffic in our livingroom to a minimum and all was good

As for your sump cracking, it's hard to speculate
Do you think your stand shifted enough to crack the sump glass, but not affect your DT ?
Tough call, but I'd say not. The tank probably would have leaked first as it has larger panes
Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
1/4" over 6 feet isn't much to worry about, but it's a good thing to keep an eye on if it changes again
You could try re-levelling it with the stand feet, but do it in tiny bits and evenly between each foot to avoid scary things happening

No scary stuff yet, but let's think about the future
If it continues to sag to one side, are you able to put a jack post under it on the floor below ?

When we had a freshwater 6' 125g against a load-bearing 6" 2x wall.
Our tank still listed a bit to starboard (by the same as your 1/4"), and a bit aft
It was a bit disconcerting to stand in the middle of the room and be able to create waves by bouncing off our heels while keeping our toes on the floor .....
Our tank spanned most of the joists, but missed the last one

With a room width of over 12 feet, the joists just weren't meant to handle the weight

I thought about a post setup in the recroom but would have needed to build a cabinet where I didn't want one, just to hide the post - about 24" away from the load-bearing wall

I just kept the amount of traffic in our livingroom to a minimum and all was good

As for your sump cracking, it's hard to speculate
Do you think your stand shifted enough to crack the sump glass, but not affect your DT ?
Tough call, but I'd say not. The tank probably would have leaked first as it has larger panes
I'm not sure it would be possible to adjust the feet with the tank and sump full of water. Would likely need to drain most of the water and even then not sure.

We could put a jack post under the other side if we had to. The room was a bedroom, but is just a spare area not in use. We could move the sump to the basement to reduce the weight.

Good point on the sump cracking, still weird it happened. Hard to keep the movement out of the room with 120lb dog who uses it as a launch/landing pad from the stairs to skip the hardwood floor. I'm going to mark the water level to keep an eye on it.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:23 PM

Just messing around, crappy phone pic!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 AM

noy is on a distinguished road

looking good!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:57 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Love that GSP wall!!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 AM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Love that GSP wall!!
+1 that is impressive.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noy View Post
looking good!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Love that GSP wall!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCGY View Post
+1 that is impressive.
It's goes to the top of the tank, starting to wrap around the right power head.
Just going to let it grow and see how far it goes. It spreads about an inch a week. Need to get some off the rocks though....
Old 04-21-2014, 01:43 AM

The power head on the left is going to need to move again, the anenome is getting so big, tentacles almost touch it.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 AM

miuYH is on a distinguished road

Holy moly! The RBTA grew so big!!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:07 AM

Came home tonight and my rbta had its tentacles wrapped up in the power head. Damage looks minimal. The power head is off for now as I will have to move it later.

Can't go to the right as I'd have to cut the gsp wall so to the left it goes. I wonder how big this guy is going to get??? I've read they can grow to a foot in the aquarium, but this one is bigger than a foot already ..... It's cool how when expanded it holds onto the neighboring rock.

Oh, and the gsp is now encrusting onto the other power head, moved past it and has hit the return. Bought some reef epoxy to stop its spreading on the rocks.