Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-09-2008, 02:33 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road
Default Question regarding Sequence Dart Pump

Okay...when you look at a dart (maybe other sequnce pumps...unsure) you see a shaft with a rubber washer on a shaft between the pump housing? and the motor(think thats right...where the water comes in and goes out and the motor) there is quite a bit of saltcreep...is this normal? the shaft "seems" to be turning okay...sounds louder than it did but its not running any hotter than it was... should i be worried...should i look at something? I emailed manufacturer but no reply.

Thanks guys/gals

Old 05-09-2008, 02:41 AM
dstasiuk

My Dart has been running for 10 months on my closed loop and there is no salt creep at all. I would suspect the seal must be leaking a little if there is salt left behind. You might try to see if you can snug the bolts up a little, but make sure you don't overtighten them...
Old 05-09-2008, 02:42 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Your getting a little weeping past the seal, should replace.

I found Reeflo Customer Service quite good but with maybe a couple of days between e-mails. Had the same problem (weeping) and had the pump a little under two years and they sent seals. Them just around the 2 year mark the bearings went and they sent a replacement unit, told them it was louder the the original and they sent a second replacement and only asked I send the first replacement back.

btw, the thing on the shaft is a slinger, prevents any water that might leak from going to the motor.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Your getting a little weeping past the seal, should replace.

I found Reeflo Customer Service quite good but with maybe a couple of days between e-mails. Had the same problem (weeping) and had the pump a little under two years and they sent seals. Them just around the 2 year mark the bearings went and they sent a replacement unit, told them it was louder the the original and they sent a second replacement and only asked I send the first replacement back.

btw, the thing on the shaft is a slinger, prevents any water that might leak from going to the motor.
Yeah i just noticed that slinger is broken s well...just a crack so if you push it it falls over a bit. What was the contact number you used for reeflo?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
Yeah i just noticed that slinger is broken s well...just a crack so if you push it it falls over a bit. What was the contact number you used for reeflo?
I tried for days phoning but either got a fast busy or a automated msg says try again. Did everything by e-mail.

Toll Free Phone # 877-378-6798 M-F 8am-5pm (Mountain time)
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 AM

Interior_Reef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Interior_Reef

send an email to 'beth@reeflopumps.com' explaining your problem, give the s.n of your pump (if its within the past year) and they will send you replacement seals. it takes about 10 mins to fix. i just did it to 2 of mine. a snapper & a dart.

if its not under warrenty, i still bet they would send em to ya.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:04 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I have three. One of them has done that since day 1. I've been unable to get the impeller off to get in there even if I had the replacement seals
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 AM

Yeah i am hoping i will get some help from reeflo...then i will see if i can get the seals on/in so your pump has been running about a year like that(untamed)? how much salt buildup do you get/what do you do...just scrape it away?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
Yeah i am hoping i will get some help from reeflo...then i will see if i can get the seals on/in so your pump has been running about a year like that(untamed)? how much salt buildup do you get/what do you do...just scrape it away?
Yes, over a year. The heat from the pump dries the leak right out, so I get a pile of brown salty residue that accumulates below the pump right in that area. I get a damp cloth in there once in a while to get rid of it. When I pulled the pumps out for their annual service, I got right in there and scraped/wiped it clean.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Yes, over a year. The heat from the pump dries the leak right out, so I get a pile of brown salty residue that accumulates below the pump right in that area. I get a damp cloth in there once in a while to get rid of it. When I pulled the pumps out for their annual service, I got right in there and scraped/wiped it clean.
Okay...thats what i did well minus the cannual service. What did you do for your annual service...just clean everything out?