Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road
Default Well...My Tank Crashed overnight..power outage

Well i came homew from work tonight to find a missing clown a ghost white clown who lept to his death right before my eyes. A ghost white atlantic tang...a freaking out gobie an my naso seems okay and my powder but damn it my other fish is hiding. Ammonia through the roof...was fine yesterday morning. Doing some water changes hope everyone lives...bloody snails are fine...crap crap crap. Hopefully work will understand when i ask for the night off. Anyone here wanna vouch and say i had to take them to the hospital?
Bloody fish....

Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM

ferret is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that, do the best you can to save the remaining livestock
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Oh man, what a nightmare!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Yeah tell me about it. Did a quick couple of water changes, mix quick super aerate then put it. Normally i would wait but i don't have time, work would not understand. Plus new saltwater is better than bad saltwater. At least in my experience, although i have never had a tank crash like that before...minor problems but not big ones. Naso was getting over ich it seemed, now its flared up. Gobie has calmed down and seems to be back scouring the sand...gonna do a couple more changes just to be safe. Have to make a trip in to the city for more salt at this rate..damn it to hell. Still cannot find one clownfish...don't want to move rocks as the tangs are hiding under there...don't want to stress them more. I love my little percs to...so beautiful...looked like onyx clowns to me. Damn Damn Damn. Thats what i get for having the emergency backup plan only on paper...i should so know better by now.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:02 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Man that really sucks! So sorry to hear that. Is the pit out of your stomach yet?

I came home one day to find my fan had fallen in my tank and it's wasn't GFI so it was still running!
My stomach was in a knot for about a week after that one.

How long was the power off?

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 04-09-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Man that really sucks! So sorry to hear that. Is the pit out of your stomach yet?

I came home one day to find my fan had fallen in my tank and it's wasn't GFI so it was still running!
My stomach was in a knot for about a week after that one.

How long was the power off?
I don't know...i done a bunch of water changes...as many as i feel safe...Ro/Di is down and tapwater isn't the greatest...never really had problems with it before but my RO/DO was better at this point all i can do is cross my fingers and go to sleep. Have not seen the naso tang in about an hour...that worries me. Gobie seems like he is eating...i hope all is well. If not well...we'll see.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Do you have any idea what the temperature was when you got home? Do you think it was the colder water that got them or the lack of circulation?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Do you have any idea what the temperature was when you got home? Do you think it was the colder water that got them or the lack of circulation?
I'm not sure...i reset my temp controller it read only 1.5 degrees cooler than normal. Fish seem confused is what i would describe it as...the clown was swimming near the top of the tank when i looked in...he was ghost white...almost anyways....the atlantic tang usually bright yellow with blue tinge to his eyes and outer fins was white as well...but he goes white when annoyed..with black lines across his body) If it wern't for the weird behavior now...the missing clown and the dead crab i would swear i just scared the crap out of the fish...i usually don't look in on them this early...if i do i just peak in the door, I try to wait till light on. I've been through a few different tank problems and such over the years but this seems like a combination of a few things...hopefully things will settle down. I really have no choice but to wait it out. Could be a problem just snuck up on me and then bam. I'll update...hopefully with good news when i get up. I don't want to go to bed...but cannot lose my job over my tank. Dammit to hell

Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Hmmm, sounds strange for sure. Keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

I can feel your pain. Last week while we were at work, the cats' treat ball rolled behind the tank and in trying to get it out one of them stepped on the power bar switch, cutting the power, lights, filtration, heat, etc. Tank usually runs at around 81 and it was already down to around 74 when we got home. We lost all the fish but the corals and inverts have recovered nicely. Sorry to hear about your loss.