Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Agree about the lack of an original story. The kid in me totally ignored the nit-picky adult part of me and enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I seriously came out thinking it was the greatest thing ever. I never saw the originals in theatre so this (for me) was finally seeing a great star wars movie on the big screen.

I couldn't believe how quickly i latched onto the new characters. they've got a lot of developing to do but that's ok. I loved Kylo Ren and I think it's neat we get to see his evil potential but know that he's still a total noob and will grow. Who knows maybe Rey had training as a kid and was made to forget. Or maybe her potential is so great she has an advantage. Either way, she's obviously a skilled combatant and the lightsaber is just a tool like her staff she kicked ass with already.

Seeing it again with work on the 30th and my wife has also said she wants to go back for a date night.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:57 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Finally allowed myself to read this thread as I joined the 98% last night finally.

I give this film a "perfect 5/7". (Hopefully someone will get that)

Overall, liked it .. there were a few things that rubbed me the wrong way (I liked Domhnall Gleeson in Ex Machina ... watching General Hux however felt like watching a 12 year old pretend to act like Hitler or something. There was one scene where he was walking in the background on a catwalk and it was just ... ridiculously overacted.)

Also I think you guys nailed it with the soundtrack observation.

Really enjoyed the chemistry with Rey, Finn and Poe. And Finn's story, I really liked how he sort of awoke with some conscience and was like "Eff this, I'm outta here".
Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Saw it in 3D last night. Cool effects, but I thought the 3D may have been distracting. Anyone seen both 2D and 3D?

It may have been a re-hash of the plot somewhat, but I still say it's the best Star Wars yet!

As someone who saw the original films in the theater as they came out, seeing Han, Leia and Luke now makes me feel.... old! A little disturbing
Old 12-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

3D is awful. The polarization filter in front of the projector blocks half of the projected light, then half of the light reflected by the silver screen (if the cinema is even using the required RealD silver screen) is filtered away by the polarized glasses. This results in less than 25% of the projected light reaching the eyes of the viewer. Add to this the fact that I'm wearing 3D glasses over my glasses and it's also a pain in the ass.

The wife and I watch a lot of movies, and the only one I can remember enjoying in 3D was Avatar. Everything thing else just seems like a gimmick... even Star Wars in 3D isn't required.

I'm going again on Wednesday to watch it for a second time... in good old glorious 2D. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it more.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:09 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Gimmick, that's the word! Though it was cool to have the star destroyer almost hit me in the face. It's been decades since I watched a 3D movie, I thought it might have gotten better.

BTW, it's good to see some comedy back in the film. Before we went to The Force Awakens we watched the other films in the Machete order. 2 and 3 were just way too dark and serious.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I did have a few chuckles in the film. There were a few scenes though where it seemed I was the only one in the theatre laughing. I dunno, maybe everyone else just don't have a sense a humour. Weirdos.

I've actually never been big on the 3d thing either. In movies where I've seen both 2d and 3d versions, I've never felt I was missing out on the 2d version. And yeah, the glasses over glasses thing is something I too have to deal with and it's just not really ideal.

The 3d version of Avatar gave me a wicked headache. I'm not sure if it was something to do with the refresh rate or colour oversaturation or whatever, it was just harsh to watch like that.

My kids seem to enjoy 3d, so unfortunately the marketing hype works on them. Heck, I had to take my kids to see the 3d version of Peanuts. I'm sorry but Charlie Brown is just not something that needs to be in 3d. Good grief!!!!!!!1111!!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:48 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

The more I think about the new movie the more I feel like they should have jumped ahead and called The Force Awakens, Episode 10 instead. I feel like I need to watch Episodes 7, 8 & 9 as prequels to the Force Awakens to find out how Kylo got to where he is.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 AM
Darth Moderator

Once 8 and 9 are done, then they will make the prequels for them.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:54 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Once 8 and 9 are done, then they will make the prequels for them.
That's not possible! The prequels to Episode 7,8&9 are Episodes 4,5 & 6 !
Old 12-31-2015, 03:10 AM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
That's not possible! The prequels to Episode 7,8&9 are Episodes 4,5 & 6 !
Nope. 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3.