Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-07-2017, 03:01 AM

1bigfish is on a distinguished road
Default Aptaisia removal

Just wondering what people are using to successfully remove aptaisia?
Old 10-07-2017, 04:16 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I have had success using lemon juice in a syringe. Get as close to the mouth as possible and give a squirt. If you have a lot of aptasia not do a couple at a time as the lemon juice will raise your ph.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:50 AM

Dean1985 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
I have had success using lemon juice in a syringe. Get as close to the mouth as possible and give a squirt. If you have a lot of aptasia not do a couple at a time as the lemon juice will raise your ph.
I used vinegar and injected into them with success as well.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:26 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

When I had aiptasia I bought peppermint shrimp and they killed it all within 3 months however peppermints are hit and miss I eventually got 8 and only two would actively eat the aiptasia 1 or 2 would nibble at it and the rest were just there taking up space it’s fortunate they are cheap to buy
Old 10-08-2017, 06:12 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
When I had aiptasia I bought peppermint shrimp and they killed it all within 3 months however peppermints are hit and miss I eventually got 8 and only two would actively eat the aiptasia 1 or 2 would nibble at it and the rest were just there taking up space it’s fortunate they are cheap to buy
Cuz the others were most likely camelbacks which most stores constantly mix up.
To OP.... Lemon juice, vinegar, Joes Juice etc is a losing battle. If possible put said rock in your sump or refugium and just leave alone. I have far too many rocks so lots to choose from. I'll take a hammer and smash off the piece with aptasia and let dry out. You can take a small handheld butane torch and burn off. Or if your tank and inhabitants or experience can handle a butterfly fish try that.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:10 PM

1bigfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have tried injecting with lemon juice, hot water. A lot of the aptaisia are smaller, they just scoot into the Rock and I can't get them.

I bought some new rock and have resorted to pulling the aptaisia Rock. I put it in a bin and I put boiling fresh water on it. Hope that will kill everything. Down side all the good stuff is dead to.

Has anyone tried boiling fresh water and had success with getting rid of aptaisia?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Cuz the others were most likely camelbacks which most stores constantly mix up.
Nope all were peppermints They weee just finicky eaters
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 PM

takeastabatit22 is on a distinguished road

It took me 3 or 4 months. 2 bottles of aptaisha x 10 peperment after 1st mounth of treatment. Then a file fish. I don't think he did anything. Now their is no in my dt.only in my sump where I can't reach. I thought it would never get better.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 PM

swimfan is on a distinguished road

Totally understand the frustration with aptasia. I have both a filefish and a copperband butterfly that both seem to show no interest in aptasia. The copperband while in quarantine would eat them. As soon as it got its first taste of mysis, totally jumped ship. My system has a remote refugium with a dozen peppermint shrimp that seems to be working. After doing some research discovered that L. Wurdemanni species are your best bet. The L.boggessi, and the L. Seticaudata look very similar and generally don't touch aptasia. A reefer on another forum posted side by side pictures of them to distinguish the difference. There is still a battle in my display tank on some of the rocks I can't move to the refugium. Unfortunately I am quite confident my harlequin tusk fish would give my peppermints a warm welcome in the display. Tried last weekend mixing kalkwasser with lemon juice to make a paste, so far has has given me the best results yet. The aptasia I pasted are completely gone.