Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-20-2010, 06:38 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road
Default Bubbles in new salt mix???

Hello. Any help here would be appreciated. I have a 46Gal tank with 50lbs of live rock. So i bought one of those black 80Gal stock tank and a 110 Gal as well. I use the 110 for the freshwater ro/di resivoir (have a fresh tank as well) and use the 80 gal for mixing salt. I did a batch up last weekend, got it up to temp, have an 850gal per/hr powerhead in there, got it all stabalized, and i seem to have got some bubbles around the edge of the tank forming. There a little slimy when collected. I did clean the tank with some ammonia (no detergents as i use it to cycle tanks) and rinsed well. So not sure whe the bubbles are from. nothing in the fresh tank. Should i run some carbon in the tanks? The other thing that has me concerned that its not good is that right after i did my glass clean and waterchange my pulsing xenia, zoas, and kenya tree basically deflated. The confusing part is my shrooms, frogspawn, acan, and acro still seem great. The other thing i did was add a phosphate reactor at tank clean. Could it be something from the rowaphos causing the reaction to the corals or could it be somthing in the water causing the bubbles and whole reactions of the corals. My skimmer doesnt seem to be doing anything different. Water perameters are pretty good. Salt is 1.0245 phosphates are 0.25 hence the phosphate reactor. 13dKH. 400ppm calcium. First thing i tested was ammonia thinking i didnt rinse well enough but with both my test kits i read 0. Cant read any nitrates as well. PH is 8.2. Could it be that i changed a little too much water? I did 30% trying to lower the phosphate levels but am wondering now if it may have shocked the system with too much of a change, salt didnt but im guessing other things would have. Thanks for any help, i havent lost anything yet and hoping not to. Xenia seems to be coming back slow after 24HRS and the zoas seem to be opening a bit but not completly open. Oh and my cardinal, shrimps and crabs dont seem to be phased by any of this either.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

are these off a basicly empty tank that only salt water was just mixed in? then there prob just bubbles... if its a cycling or just cycled tank then its prob red slime algae?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

I am using rowaphos and I am not getting any negative reaction in my tank. Let it settle down a bit and just observe it. Corals react to stress pretty fast and recover quite slow so just check keep your parameters in check give it some time.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:28 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Those three types of soft coral close up very quickly if their environment changes even a little bit or if they are blasted with a surge of water. Its normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Instant Ocean salt will leave a film of slime on the sides of whatever container it is mixed in. A clean glass of water sitting on your kitchen counter top will also collect air bubbles after several hours. I'm no chemist but I think its caused by oxygen diffusing out of solution and clinging to the friction of the clean surface. Again, this is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-21-2010, 12:31 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all that, puts the mind at ease a bit. Everythings starting to get better again slowly, its pretty dumb too cause as soon as i was done i shook my head cause i knew exactly what i did. I think like everyones saying, just too much too quickly. Ill get this whole salt thing here eventually.

Tags
bubbles, corals, deflated, salt