Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 PM

frankrom is on a distinguished road
Default Question on if this Tank Setup is Over Priced?

Hey Everyone,

New to the forums here!

Looking at a purchase... and I am wondering if i can get some insight from some Canadian Reefers.

The guy selling the tank I am interested in is asking $3300 for the whole setup here is his ad. It isn't very descriptive, but still hoping I can get some advice.

"I have for sale a 90 gallon saltwater fish tank with everything you needed to run comes with alots of things like 140 lbs of live rocks with coroline which happens good lighting and good water also 80 lbs of live sand and over 40 to 50 Assorted amazing corols from extra large to small sizes13 fish which all kinds of tang like a blue tang naso tang purple tang scoop tang yellow fox face black fox pair of clown fish LED lighting system two unit include sump return pump which i paid over $ 500 is digital dc pump if any body thename skimmer ph reactor size of 48 x 24 x 18 NO PART OUT for more info call or text me at also black pine stand and conopy"

He has those big LED fixtures, two of them with blue and white lights, I think the LFS sells them for $450 each. He said he has some dc pump which is variable in speed and can pump from the two different levels. Sump and all that other stuff included too.

There are something like 6 different tangs, the corals honestly, from the photos seem very large, clearly he is doing something right.

I included some pictures too....

Any advice on the real value here please let me know.

He is saying he has spent over 8k on it over the years... which i do believe but hey getting into these hobbies isn't an investment!

Thanks guys...

Frank
Old 03-14-2014, 02:02 PM

Sorry forgot to include the photos....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (55.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (55.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (55.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (55.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

um, its worth what people are willing to pay for it, myself its not worth much as I would have to get rid of everything in the tank.

with out knowing the brands of stuff it is hard to say but if it is true he has spent 8K on the setup then 3K is not bad. but if he only spent 3K on equipment and the rest on livestock that you don't want then it isn't worth much to you.

figure a used tank is worth about $1-2.00/gal on average, then you have to figure out what the equipment is and what it is worth, when I sold my used equipment if it was actualy used I would go about 50% of what I paid for it.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Why would you get rid of everything in the tank? That is part of the reason I would buy a used tank... to get the stuff inside?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

There's some pricey corals there there's like 1.5 grand in live stock this LEDs are called AQ.120 worth 180 each

This is an ok deel not the best tho I doubt he spent 8 grand unless he bought rocks at 10$a pound

Last edited by Coral Hoarder; 03-14-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Tank and stand, = 200ish
rock = maybe 300
sand = toss it, buy new
The rest has no brands, condition, etc.

I've seen people's "amazing corols", generally garbage unless it's exactly what you were going to buy anyway. I would guess if he can't spell coral, he can't take great care of them Maybe worth a few hundred. Maybe.

If you want all the fish, worth maybe another 400 (assuming good size, condition, etc)

So depending on what the gear is, it maybe be worth upwards of 2200, maybe more if it's exactly what you're looking for. If you're interested, and it's clean and in nice shape, offer 1800 and work from there.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply...

So do you think for that price you could get much more for your money?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

In my opinion you could build this tank from scratch with 3 grand

So mabie its worth 2.5 tops ? But we really don't know some of the stuff like skimmers and adshinal equipment that might bump the price up
Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I would agree with the 'Crazy. It may be worth it to some people, but not at all worth it to me.

For me 140lbs of live rock in a 90g is too much rock and I'd get rid of most of it. I'd also get ride of most of the 80lbs of live sand. In fact, I'd trash all of it and buy new sand.

6 tangs in a 90g seems pretty cramped to me. I'd be trying to sell off some of the excess fish.

It's hard to say how much the equipment is really worth without knowing the exact brands. The equipment to either be expensive high end stuff or dirt cheap Chinese eBay specials.

Personally I think you can set up a nice 90g with a custom made tank for less than that. Then buy the equipment that makes sense for YOU and not for someone else.

Call Concept Aquariums in Calgary and ask for quotes on a 90g set up. You may be surprised how affordable it is.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Hey Kien... thanks!

Is this the part where I say now I feel extremely stupid for saying I live in Calgary when I live in Toronto???????????????????

I figured since I was posting a classified ad and thought maybe If I found a good deal and I was putting it on the busiest canadian form.. I thought someone may have bought it hahaha... so stupid.

Needless to say I am in Toronto ... do you or anyone else want to give me a TORONTO contact for a custom setup?

Sounds like this is not a good deal at all anymore

Why would you get rid of all the sand????? whats the point in that.

the tank did look like it had a lot of rocks in it!