Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

There is always two sides to this. Here is my opinion for what its worth.
If you own this breed of dog, good for you. I do believe any breed of dog can be the loving loyal pet.
That being said, you know the dangers, and as long as you do not, under any circumstance endanger me, my children or any other member of the public, keep your dog and do what you will.
However, if you at any point, you fail at your responsibilities to keep this animal in a safe manner, I hope the law comes at you with the safety off.
It is the responsibility of the owner to do this. Unfortunately, we see the outcome of owners who think they do not have this responsibility.
Coasting, something to keep in mind. There has been reports of unprovoked attacks in many breeds, big, small, and everything in between. So please, don't say one thing without consideration of all the facts. You say its fear mongering morons and education that are at fault here. Id disagree to some point. In some cases its just the dog, plain and simple.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
There is always two sides to this. Here is my opinion for what its worth.
If you own this breed of dog, good for you. I do believe any breed of dog can be the loving loyal pet.
That being said, you know the dangers, and as long as you do not, under any circumstance endanger me, my children or any other member of the public, keep your dog and do what you will.
However, if you at any point, you fail at your responsibilities to keep this animal in a safe manner, I hope the law comes at you with the safety off.
It is the responsibility of the owner to do this. Unfortunately, we see the outcome of owners who think they do not have this responsibility.
Coasting, something to keep in mind. There has been reports of unprovoked attacks in many breeds, big, small, and everything in between. So please, don't say one thing without consideration of all the facts. You say its fear mongering morons and education that are at fault here. Id disagree to some point. In some cases its just the dog, plain and simple.
But the point being unprovoked attack can happen in ANY breed. I have seen a few lately even with the media running around claiming pit bull attack and it was a husky or other breed. Therr was one in richmond not long ago where the human who got attacked by the dog actually went onto social media and tried correcting these news sites who were saying it was a pit when it wasnt. We had a client at the vets whos off leash little dog got attacked by a "pit bull" who was on leash, he was going around telling everyone about the vicious pit bull. I saw the dog that did the attacking at a later date, it was a shepherd mix. Nothing remotely bully breed.
Many many dog breeds are capable of imense damage.
With out training any dog can be a danger.
Yes bullys are selected more so to be trained to fight. Key word, trained.
They dont get born as pups with that mindset. They can be high strung and if you dont know how to handle or train any high strung dog youre screwed, any breed. But these guys are highly inteligent and easy to train (with proper training), especially using positive reinforcement. Little dogs not so much. Bullys love to please their owners and do whats asked of them. They are by far one of my favourite breeds to train and work with because their so much smarter and capable of so much more.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
In the end, if you can't control a chihuahua, don't get a chihuahua. If you can't control a pitbull, don't get a pitbull. Seems like people needs to be educated more on breeds and responsibility. All breeds are not the same and are there for difference purposes with different personality - that's what makes every breed precious and unique. It all comes down to the owner.
Fully agreed with this point. As controversial as this is, I am also hearing some good points made by Coasting. The cards are stacked against bully breeds unfairly as pets because of stereotypes and that's a bad hand dealt.

Some dogs are tougher to handle than others. I like Myka's point that with this ban at least it will make it harder for this breed to be abused by irresponsible owners.

Last edited by Moogled; 09-29-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Follows the rules!

In terms of breeders and breeding bullys, keep in mind the ones used and bred to be trained to fight are not usually what the AKC or CKC would deem an APBT or ASBT or any PROPER bully breed. Their mixed breed/inbred disasters bred to be wider then they are tall.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:03 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

There are quite a few people who are attracted to pitbull type dogs that have no right to own a dog and cant be bothered to train their dog , or keep it in a properly fenced yard . These same people are breeding dogs to sell without any thought to what type of dog they are producing . No thug wants a spaniel , they want a tough badass dog thats mean and they have picked pitbulls to the breeds detrement . These people need to be regulated and they are doing it by controlling the dogs , you cant punish stupid in our society but you can limit the stupids so thats what they did . Too bad for reasonable owners , but you picked a dog that can bite through a parking meter .
Old 10-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Tankboy is on a distinguished road

This topic really gets me going...In my opinion, Pit Bulls are the "flavour breed" of the 2000's. This has happened in the past with Dobermans, German Shepherds....I am a dog lover and find it sad that such a sweeping ban can be instituted. I disagree with it completely and think that the outcome falls completely on the owner. You know the personality of your dog...or you should. If your dog is prone to bolting as soon as you open the door to your house, you take precautions to make sure that doesn't happen. If you see that your dog can be aggressive when out and about, you should be taking measures to ensure that it does not happen. the OWNER is the alpha and the pack leader and needs to do the correct job to keep the dog in line. This is NOT about Pit Bulls. It is about training, keeping control of your dog, and knowing your dogs personality. The saying "with great power comes great responsibility" comes to mind. Pitt Bulls are powerful animals and that can not be ignored.
I have two dogs, a 70lb Airedale Terrier and a 12lb Welsh Terrier. Of the two, the Welsh is far more aggressive that the Airedale and I am fully aware of this. I constantly keep her in check, and ensure that she is not presented with an opportunity where she can scare, or hurt anyone...even tho she is only 12lbs...she can still do damage. This whole thing falls on the owners being responsible, educated and training not only the dogs, but themselves.
Dogs are getting the short end of the stick and it is sad.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:04 PM

corallivore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
The popcorn was not directed at you, so no.

Not a chance... I really like popcorn.

Discussion over PM request was directed at Coasting, not you.

All you've added to the conversation is popcorn...what interest could I possibly have to discuss this topic with you...lol

but you're right, popcorn is delicious...

I get it. You love your dog and he/she is a good dog...nobody is debating that.

BUT...

A chihuahua won't kill your kid.

A bully breed will and you probably can't stop it.

The ignorance I see is most often from pit apologists, people who, for example, refuse to accept their dogs were bred for fighting and can't accept that IF their dog goes into the red zone, the consequences are far worse than with almost any other breed.

There was just a dog attack in Regina.
Family dog, described as "a big sweetheart" been around the kids for most of it's life and then it's prey drive kicked in because the little girls pony pail caused an instinctual reaction.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...tack-1.3796672

It's just so typical and every single bully apologist always says the exact same things...

To me, that's where the ignorance is most harmful.

You think this would have made the news if it was a chihuahua?

I had a pointer, never hunted in his life, never.

but when we'd hike and a rabbit or something would run by, he'd whelp (a sound that he would only make during these chases)and chase the rabbit (or squirrel or whatever) and point at the hole or tree he'd chased them into.

He could NOT be recalled when he would get this excited and for him and me, that was a big deal as he always, always listened from the time he was 6 months old and wanted to be next to me more than anywhere else.

This is all instinct and it kicks no matter what under the right circumstances.

it's stronger in some dogs than others but how do you know which?

I feel that if bully owners/apologists could just accept some of the realities for their dogs breed, you wouldn't need a ban and good dogs wouldn't have to pay the price.

Last edited by corallivore; 10-13-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Follows the rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallivore View Post
Discussion over PM request was directed at Coasting, not you.

All you've added to the conversation is popcorn...what interest could I possibly have to discuss this topic with you...lol

but you're right, popcorn is delicious...

I get it. You love your dog and he/she is a good dog...nobody is debating that.

BUT...

A chihuahua won't kill your kid.

A bully breed will and you probably can't stop it.

The ignorance I see is most often from pit apologists, people who, for example, refuse to accept their dogs were bred for fighting and can't accept that IF their dog goes into the red zone, the consequences are far worse than with almost any other breed.

There was just a dog attack in Regina.
Family dog, described as "a big sweetheart" been around the kids for most of it's life and then it's prey drive kicked in because the little girls pony pail caused an instinctual reaction.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...tack-1.3796672

It's just so typical and every single bully apologist always says the exact same things...

To me, that's where the ignorance is most harmful.

You think this would have made the news if it was a chihuahua?

I had a pointer, never hunted in his life, never.

but when we'd hike and a rabbit or something would run by, he'd whelp (a sound that he would only make during these chases)and chase the rabbit (or squirrel or whatever) and point at the hole or tree he'd chased them into.

He could NOT be recalled when he would get this excited and for him and me, that was a big deal as he always, always listened from the time he was 6 months old and wanted to be next to me more than anywhere else.

This is all instinct and it kicks no matter what under the right circumstances.

it's stronger in some dogs than others but how do you know which?

I feel that if bully owners/apologists could just accept some of the realities for their dogs breed, you wouldn't need a ban and good dogs wouldn't have to pay the price.
You're still denying the fact that there are dozens of larger stronger dogs out there then any "bully breed" proving a complete lack of education on your part.

[...rest of post deleted...]

Last edited by Myka; 01-07-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:03 AM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road

I am all for dangerous dog legislation. Perhaps dangerous owner legislation as well.

AquaAddict
Old 01-06-2017, 06:01 AM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

This thread just couldn't be left for dead could it. Lol