Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM

mattdean is on a distinguished road

#2 for me. All you have to do is have your everflow notch for the returns and use lock line. that's what I did. My returns are drilled in the bottom and they come up, then bend into the tank under water. I even have acrylic on top to finish off the look.

Here's a pic.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:42 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
I like #2 better. Technically it should be stronger since you don't have a corner cut into the glass that will be a stress point(even though there's very little stress with 1" of water). Lots of people with #1 though that works great for them.

Love the size of both though, very wide. Will make a great reef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I am going to throw a problem in here. design 1 has two inside 90 degree corners in the back pain, which are inherent stress points in cut glass. so in-fact tank 1 could actually be weaker on the back.

as for looks tank 2 will look much cleaner from the front and a coast to coast overflow is nice for a few reasons, better surface skimming and also because of the extra length it has more volume. the only issue I have is how are you doing your returns in number 2

my vote is for design 2

Steve
Design 1 is stronger guys, this is the problem with design 2

The notched side in design 1 is not only supported by the overflow but it's signficantly shorter in length than the front... You know whole Mc/I deal, M being FxL....
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcosmokramer View Post
Do you mean extend them, but not all the way to the ends? I'm going to have a tee and an elbow in there for each of the three drains, so I have to make sure there is enough room.
Pretty much yeah, if you stick with a notch you'll need at least 2 inches on each side so it can be cut properly. If you want to extend the box the full length then skip the notch and lower the height of the entire side pane but keep the overflow box separate and not part of the front pane. Alternatively you could also just extend the length of the tank and go with an internal overflow box on the side.

Also when I say front and sides, I calling the pane with overflow the side and 5x2 pane the front.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-03-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdean View Post
Matt has the right idea there, essentially an internal overflow on the side if you're looking for a full width overflow.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Design #1 all the way. Not a fan of the up and over look. Doing the notch for design 1 is a pain if you do it yourself and a little more pricey if that glass shop does it. Design 2, if you do the long sides plus the overflow as one piece you are still having to put a notch into the glass. If you don't do it as one piece, you'll have some funky silicone work at the top edge that will be ugly and weak (gap between panels should be 1 mm). I would worry about stress points on the back glass if you do the notch so long as your glass is the right thickness. We over engineer the glass thickness as it is. Just doing a back of the napkin calculation on stress around the notches you're still at a safety factor of 4. I did a notch on my tank, couldn't be happier.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Matt has the right idea there, essentially an internal overflow on the side if you're looking for a full width overflow.
Exactly. just make the whole tank longer and put the overflow inside, top to bottom. I painted the sides black and it looks slick and works flawlessly. Also gives you more water volume. All holes drilled in the bottom and nothing going over the sides or sticking out. It's as clean as it gets. AND, no worries about weak spots. It's as strong as it gets.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 PM

imcosmokramer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Exactly. just make the whole tank longer and put the overflow inside, top to bottom. I painted the sides black and it looks slick and works flawlessly. Also gives you more water volume. All holes drilled in the bottom and nothing going over the sides or sticking out. It's as clean as it gets. AND, no worries about weak spots. It's as strong as it gets.
interesting. How do you clean the tall overflow box?

LET HE WHO HAS MADE NO MISTAKES CAST THE FIRST LIVE ROCK.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:53 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Design 1 is stronger guys, this is the problem with design 2

The notched side in design 1 is not only supported by the overflow but it's signficantly shorter in length than the front... You know whole Mc/I deal, M being FxL....
sorry didn't see that the sides were all one piece, I assumed it would be the normal of a box add on. I would recomend number 2 still with the modification that the over flow be added to the tank. just get the end of a normal designed tank made 1/2" shorter than the other end and sides, then build a box oneto the end to make your over flow box.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcosmokramer View Post
interesting. How do you clean the tall overflow box?
You're supposed to clean the overflow box? Really? WTF?!?!?! LOL!
I just siphon it out every blue moon. I can get my hand in there easily. Actually, I have rock in the overflow box.

I honestly can't imagine having an external box and pips coming up. It just seems crude and unattractive to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 PM

imcosmokramer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're supposed to clean the overflow box? Really? WTF?!?!?! LOL!
I just siphon it out every blue moon. I can get my hand in there easily. Actually, I have rock in the overflow box.

I honestly can't imagine having an external box and pips coming up. It just seems crude and unattractive to me.
yes, if you have detritus in your overflow (which you do), it's a good idea to siphon it every once in a while.

As for "crude and unattractive"..first that's your opinion which (second) is based on the assumption that it will be visible

This type of overflow is much easier to maintain and troubleshoot if anything goes wrong.

Steve, Yes, I'm sure the box will be an add-on if this id the final design. I just didn't feel like messing with the rendering to reflect that. Yeah, I'm lazy.

LET HE WHO HAS MADE NO MISTAKES CAST THE FIRST LIVE ROCK.