Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroovers View Post
If you are shooting in a non-raw mode (i.e. producing a jpeg straight out of the camera), the camera will "automatically" add a certain level of contrast, saturation, etc. So if you are adjusting the saturation in PS afterwards, you run the risk of over saturating. The second pic compared to your first is much better without a doubt, but as you said maybe a touch too high in saturation IMO.

Anytime you touch the saturation slider, you are going to get accused of PS'ing your picture. If you can shoot raw and stick to adjusting the proper WB'ing and adjusting the exposure in PP, and nothing else, you'll get pretty true to life results and can claim that you are not touching saturation, which might change the opinion of many who look at your pics. Part of the problem though is that people really don't know what "Photoshopping" a picture means - anytime you shoot in raw, you at the very least need a raw photo converter to produce a viewable pic (i.e. jpeg) so a certain level of PP is necessary. It is when you start jacking the saturation and vibrance to unrealistic levels that you run the risk of overdoing it. However, without someone viewing the pics and then seeing your tank to compare, the "realistic-ness" of the shots is based on the photographer's perceived credibility by those viewing the pics.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind, like said, the saturation is a bit high, but it is truer color, just more blue/pink then what is seen in the tank