Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-31-2010, 09:57 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road
Default Funny Test Kit?

Hey guys,

so I got one of the Aqua Test Mg test kits to test my magnesium and Im struggling to get a reading.

After I add the magnesium (C) I am suppose to get a bright pink colour, but its more kind of orangey coppery. I then am suppose to add reagent D until it changes to a light blue and the example says I should put in around like 8 drops or so and subtract however many drops of D I put in from how ever many I put in of A to change it from red to green, which was 28 drops.

Well right now Im at 13 drops and its still the same colour (orangey coppery rather than the pink colour it describes in the instructions.) Should I keep adding drops? Do you think its going to change? Right now if it is indeed going to change then my copper levels are below 750 ppm ((28-13)*50)

Is that possible really with reef crystals?

A little insight on the process or likelihood my Mg readings are that low would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Are you using two separate samples of water? After you get your color change with reagent A you remember the number of drops and discard the water. Then with a fresh sample you add reagent B and C which should give you a pink color, then count the number of drops of D you use and subtract the D from A. I usually need 5 or 6 drops of D to get the color change.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM

And thats my problem... I guess I thought it was just all in one test tube. Thank you! I'll have my reading soon haha.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

made the same mistake 1st time i used mine....shoulda known better oops

Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Ahah, that's really funny that both of you did that as its the EXACT same thing I did. Unfortunately hobby test kits don't tend to be very accurate as it is.
Levi
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 AM

Zoa, what do you use to test your water if you dont use the test kits?

Is this something some of these controllers test for? Do they test for all your parameters?