Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road
Default Undecided need some input for new tank?

I want to take down my 75 gal cube and build a room divider. My ideal tank would be 6' long by 24" wide and 20" high. I would like a close loop on a Dart as I would take those parts from my 75 cube.
I also have a big tank one floor above so was thinking of plumbing them both together. To make a bigger water volume. Not too sure if that's such a great idea. I would think that will take a big pump.
The glass to put this together will be reasonable for me as I work with glass.
That or I can just buy a ready made tank. but most are not 24" wide or tempered. I like tempered stronger and it has flex. I was also thinking of doing the drop down L tank but think I might do that with rocks or adding some glass as I am paying for all the glass anyway.
I am not sure what way to go right now but if anyone has a tank close to that that they want to get rid send me a pm.
Looking for some input as there is lots of people here that have great ideas.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

72"x24"x20" Room divider has my vote. I may be slightly biased tho lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 AM

That's what I want.
Should I plumb the new tank into my 150 upstairs? I know you had your tanks running together somewhat like that.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 AM

Yes I had two tanks side by side that were plumbed together. Personally, this is the only way that I could make two tanks work. Only one skimmer cup to clean, one gfo/carbon reactor(s) media to change, one set of heaters, chiller, etc. it simplifies things that way. Those are the pros. However, there are cons. Because both tanks share water anything that goes wrong in one goes wrong in the other (disease, tank parameters, etc.). You may need larger equipment in order to support both tanks. I had to get a skimmer rated for 300-400g. This was more expensive than if I had gotten a second skimmer rated for a smaller second tank.

Ultimately having the second tank for me failed simply because my lifestyle just can not support having two medium-large tanks, even if they were plumbed together. You still have to scrape/clean the glass on both tanks separately. You still have to feed both tanks separately. Light both tanks, etc. it also didn't help that the "FOWLR" was 28" tall. That may not seem very tall for you big white guys but for us tiny Asians that's a huge pain. I can never have a tank taller than 20".

I did briefly have a second tank in my basement that was about 120g that was completely stand alone and I learned very quickly that that scenary absolutely does not work for me! Two sets of tanks to maintain individually is a royal pain, unless you have a lot of time on your hands. Plumbing together makes having two tanks much more manageable.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 AM

Oh, I will add that although my 120g basement tank was isolated and took more time to maintain that having it set up this way ultimately saved by main 150f from disaster! I was a little lazy on the basement tank so didn't dip stuff properly and also took in questionable fish. I ended up getting hit with velvet an all manner of pests like flatworms in that tank! If it was not isolated my main 150g would have been hosed as well.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

you could plumb the tanks together through the sump and have separate returns.

If you need a big pump I might be able to help you out
Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 AM

That's true. Jason...
I had three tanks so I know what what you are saying about the upkeep Kien that's why I was thinking of joining them. After I start this new tank. The tank I now have upstairs would just become a frag tank no fish. I also would like to do automated water changes somehow. Then I could just run the closed loop on this main tank and pump the water upstairs. I just have to figure out how to fit it into my system now......
And what kind of pump will I need to go up a floor?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 AM

I could do a 60" x 40" x 20" as well just don't know if that will fit as well as it will cut into the wife's couch plan.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:48 AM

I've never tried to push water up a level so I can't really provide too much input there. I suspect you'll want something like a dart tho. Can't really comment on the dimensions of your new tank either as I don't really know what your space looks like or what your wife looks like (when she is angry). :-)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

Myself I would leave the tanks indepentant of one another I have 3 tanks all separate and I don't find it's that much work actually I am considering a 4th tank just the power bill sucks with 2 of the three on mh lights. If you are looking for a pump I would recommend little giants caustic pumps I have 2 and a friend of mine has them as well and they are dead silent and zero maitanence unlike the darts. He is building a 375g that the sumps will be in the basement and plans on getting the 3hp mag-drive caustic pump from little giants it puts out 2200gph at 12 feet of head might be worth while looking into one if you decide to plumb them together.