Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals > Everything Pellets

Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

So they should last longer before replacement pellets are needed? Or they last the same amount of time but are more efficient at NP reduction than previous batches?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

So is the rate at which these pellets get smaller and less effective based on flow over them or how much actual reducing they do? I say your nitrates and phosphates were zero...would they still dissolve away and need replacement?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
So they should last longer before replacement pellets are needed? Or they last the same amount of time but are more efficient at NP reduction than previous batches?

From what I gather a little bit of both, I will get further details on this as time progresses; however, from my contact with the distributor it has been concluded that the pellets are in a constant state of refinement and research and development.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
So is the rate at which these pellets get smaller and less effective based on flow over them or how much actual reducing they do? I say your nitrates and phosphates were zero...would they still dissolve away and need replacement?

Essentially the answer is yes but at a much slower rate, the speed at which the Beads dissolve depends on the amount of nutrient available to the bacteria that colonize the reactor. The more the nutrient available the faster the Beads dissolve.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzar View Post
I've got 800ml in 100gal (estimated water volume) system. Got them from Oceanic Corals when they first came out around Jan I think it was. I was vodka carbon dosing before the pellets as a form of nutrient exporting, and had numerous challenges with that system (determining correct dose, ugly bacterial strings, looming threat of cyano, etc.)

However the experience with the pellets has been very pleasant. First they do as they say. I've had 0 nutrient challenges with this product since the new year. Nitrates and Phos are constant 0. The primary reason for the pellets is Nitrates, however they do seem to help with Phosphates. I also add 4 drops of Brightwell Microbacter7 daily for added bacterial control of nutrients (especially phosphates). The MB7 also helps replenish benneficial bacteria in the system as it's skimmed out and helps keep the water crystal clear.

This is a set it and forget it system...no dosing pumps or strict routine of manual dosing. So IMO these biopellets are well worth it for the ease of nutrient exporting alone. At the rate of use I'm noticing I'd imagine my initial 800ml will last about a year'ish, as mentioned, and I feed VERY VERY heavy.

Thanks OC for continued support of this product. I'll be adding another 100gal of frag tanks to my system soon and will be ordering another batch of pellets to compensate for the added volume.

Cheers

Thanks for the great review, these types of reviews are important to other looking to purchase the product.

O.C.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm, I am happy with the original, I won't upgrade anytime soon. I hope my order is coming with my free bag... I will have enough pellets to last 2-3 years.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

So I just my shipment of the new pellets today (thanks Ian). The included instruction sheet says "it is essential that....the discharge of the reactor is directed into the skimmer"

Yikes !!!

I just designed my HOB sump expressly so that the reactor intake was DOWNSTREAM of the skimmer so the malm from the pellets wasn't skimmed out.

Can I get a confirmation that the OUTPUT of the reactor should be UPSTREAM of the skimmer ?

What are the consequences if it's downstream ?

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 AM

Bzar is on a distinguished road

@DiverDude: I've run mine both up and down stream from the skimmer, and no real difference for me. I did find an increase in polyp extention with the reactor outlet downstream from the skimmer inlet...pehaps the corals like using some of the mulm (nutrient rich bacteria) for food.

There are others on various forums that don't run the reactor outlet upstream from the skimmer....no deadly results that I've read.

The reason for that suggestion towards putting the reactor outlet near the skimmer inlet (or upstream) is so the skimmer has a greater chance to skim any of the nutrient rich bacteria out asap, and to ensure re-oxygenation (is that even a word? it's late of the water in a probiotic system....again doesn't seem to really matter IME and from what I read. Perhaps if you have a very inefficient skimmer and/or very low through sump GPH...in that case a probiotic system of any kind could cause some harm to the system in terms of bacteria build up, ph problems, and low O2 levels. If you compare it to some of the liquid carbon dosing systems (like vodka carbon dosing) the reality is that there's no way to contain that systems nutrient rich bacteria into an "upsteam" situation...what's important is your GPH through the sump/skimmer area, because it's processing of the water column through the cleaning system (skimmer) that counts. General rule is about 10x an hour through the sump, and a skimmer that`s got good reviews....and imo rated 2x more than your tank :P

If you try with the reactor outlet downstream from the skimmer, and are worried about how it'll work out, then just keep an eye out for bacteria strings (white hair looking strings floating from the rocks, glass, substrate, powerheads, etc.) low PH, and/or fish heavy breathing. If you notice that stuff happening you may want to try with the reactor outlet "upstream" from the skimmer or think about getting a new skimmer or more GPH through the sump.

There can also be initial challenges with biopellets in systems that have heavy amounts of unchecked nutrients....if your tank is some what mature and may have high amounts of nutrients, then it's adviced to add the pellets slowly. That way you wont shock the system with a fast and furious outbreak of nutrient eating/rich bacteria. Say you need 1000ml...best to add 100 to 200ml each week to let the system develop safely.

It's late, I'm tired, hope that makes sense and helps .... is it wrong that I love nutrient exporting so much?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Bzar: Thanks for all the info. Makes a lot of sense. I'll have very nearly 10x the system volume going through the sump each hour and it's a new skimmer that while not hugely over-rated for my system, is certainly adequate. I haven't run it yet (sump isn't quite done) so I'll have to reserve further comment on it until I've had a chance to run it for a week or 2.

I'm planning on running ~250ml of pellets in the system but was going to start with more like 100 ml to start and then add a little each week for a few weeks since the tank is not mature and I'm having issues right now with Ich, medication, and some minor algae blooms that come from running with no skimmer (due to the meds). Once things settle, I'll bring the pellets online and see how it goes.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzar View Post
@DiverDude: I've run mine both up and down stream from the skimmer, and no real difference for me. I did find an increase in polyp extention with the reactor outlet downstream from the skimmer inlet...pehaps the corals like using some of the mulm (nutrient rich bacteria) for food.

There are others on various forums that don't run the reactor outlet upstream from the skimmer....no deadly results that I've read.

The reason for that suggestion towards putting the reactor outlet near the skimmer inlet (or upstream) is so the skimmer has a greater chance to skim any of the nutrient rich bacteria out asap, and to ensure re-oxygenation (is that even a word? it's late of the water in a probiotic system....again doesn't seem to really matter IME and from what I read. Perhaps if you have a very inefficient skimmer and/or very low through sump GPH...in that case a probiotic system of any kind could cause some harm to the system in terms of bacteria build up, ph problems, and low O2 levels. If you compare it to some of the liquid carbon dosing systems (like vodka carbon dosing) the reality is that there's no way to contain that systems nutrient rich bacteria into an "upsteam" situation...what's important is your GPH through the sump/skimmer area, because it's processing of the water column through the cleaning system (skimmer) that counts. General rule is about 10x an hour through the sump, and a skimmer that`s got good reviews....and imo rated 2x more than your tank :P

If you try with the reactor outlet downstream from the skimmer, and are worried about how it'll work out, then just keep an eye out for bacteria strings (white hair looking strings floating from the rocks, glass, substrate, powerheads, etc.) low PH, and/or fish heavy breathing. If you notice that stuff happening you may want to try with the reactor outlet "upstream" from the skimmer or think about getting a new skimmer or more GPH through the sump.

There can also be initial challenges with biopellets in systems that have heavy amounts of unchecked nutrients....if your tank is some what mature and may have high amounts of nutrients, then it's adviced to add the pellets slowly. That way you wont shock the system with a fast and furious outbreak of nutrient eating/rich bacteria. Say you need 1000ml...best to add 100 to 200ml each week to let the system develop safely.

It's late, I'm tired, hope that makes sense and helps .... is it wrong that I love nutrient exporting so much?
I could not have explained this better myself, one of the reasons to aim the effluent into the skimmer is for re-oxygenation and nutrient export. This is not as big of a deal once the Beads have been running for a few weeks; however, upon initial implementation of the beads bacterial clouding events can occur when there is high nutrient levels in the tank. Clouding events happen when there is a major bacterial bloom that over spills from the Bead reactor and clouds the tank, the cloud of bacteria alive and dead can cause issues with PH and low dissolved oxygen.

Once the Beads have been running for a few weeks you can easily run them downstream from the skimmer, the excess bacteria are taken up by all of the Corals and fauna in the tank....

Hope this also helps!!

O.C.