Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-10-2009, 07:22 PM

reefy is on a distinguished road
Default How can I keep my ph up?

I cant keep my ph high, 7.95=light on 7.80=light off(refugium light on) I do add ph buffer often. I am currently dripping Kalkwasser 1 drop per second. here is my current water parameter:
nitrate=0
phosphate=0
temp=76.2
Ph=7.80 (light off)
calc=460-470
mag=1500
dkh=5.5 low will add buffer right now

now my question is can I drip ph buffer? I think its a risky move isnt it? what do you guys do to keep your ph to 8.1-8.3? it seems imposible to me.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

What is your concern with pH? Also, IMO, Ca is a too high, alk too low. Balance out those two items, don't worry about pH.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Open the windows.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Here's a reef chemistry calculator. Use it to calculate how much baking soda to add to bring your alk up to at least 8 dKh. Take your time, and bring it up over the next week or 2.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I think it was a infamous reefer that once said something like this:

The best way to keep your PH up is to throw away the PH test kit and not worry about it.

I used to stress about my PH being 7.9. I would buffer it up and the next day it would be back at 7.9. Well I stopped trying. It wants to 7.9 so I let it be 7.9. You saw my stuff, non of it minds 7.9PH
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

I dont even own a pH tester. Havnt tested the tank once in 2 years.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

not my quote but makes sense.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Unfortunately, calcium and alkalinity are linked in many ways in reef tanks, and these links can lead to serious problems if they are not fully understood. If, for example, you add too much of a calcium supplement, you will drive down alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank. Likewise, adding too much of an alkalinity supplement can result in reduction of calcium. Consequently, trying to correct one problem can cause another. Moreover, if you try to correct a calcium or alkalinity ?problem? with the wrong type of additive, you might accomplish nothing more than creating limestone in your tank.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Dolf is on a distinguished road

I'll take a quick crack at this mostly because I disagree with disregarding PH levels. First, I believe that low magnesium levels can contribute to a low PH reading, so that is one thing to keep in mind. Also, if you are one of the reefers who loves technology, running Ozone and U.V can also cause a reaction (read oxidation) which can contribute to low PH. Even if you only run one or the other they can have a malfunction (buildup in the quartz sleeve for example) so you may want to unplug it for a few days to see if that helps. A buildup of detritus somewhere in the system can contribute as well. The problem with ignoring PH is that it is usually indicative of a different problem somewhere- but that is just me.

A calcium reactor will also keep your PH a little lower than it otherwise would be due to the use of CO2. From Eric Borneman (yeah, I quote him and Dr. Ron a lot...)
“The studies I have read on this suggest that higher pH is better for coral growth, even if it not natural. I would have to go back and look, but I think 8.6 was the highest calcification rate for the species studied."
Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Or you could throw your meter away, no more problems!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:20 PM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

The reason your ph is low is because your ALK is low and out of balance with CAL. Use the chemistry calculator that Reefer Rob suggested or this one http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html
Don't use PH buffers and dripping Kalk at this point will only raise your CAL and your CAL is too high right now but don't try to correct it, it will go down as you raise your ALK. Get a ALK buffer or read up on using baking soda as a ALK buffer http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Once your ALK and CAL are in balance your ph will come up and be in check, also adding ALK buffer will Raise your ph so add the ALK buffer very slowly
Good luck and I hope the links help

Last edited by Tangman; 04-11-2009 at 02:26 PM.