Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Sweet photo's sweet ride!
thanks daplatapus!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM

WOW it's been practically 3 years since I've started this tank!

What worked for me - dosing kalk as part of the ATO, feeding the system NutraPlus Complete Feed as well as dosing vodka. At one point in time or another I have stop feeding/dosing and I have seen negative effect in the system, once I restarted with them the system tends to get better.

Things that I've changed - lighting system from 250DE MH to 6 bulb T5 fixture. Even thought I've always thought of changing to T5 before I've always procrastinated, the turning point or what have forced me to move forward was when the UV glass from the MH broke. The other thing that I've change was salt, I moved from IO to Kent, so far i've used close to 400 gallons (2 boxes) of the kent salt. Overall I have to say the system is more stable and am starting to see a lot of growth again as well as the corals are starting to color up again.

looking back here is how the system look in 2009 when I first set it up.....

August 17th, 2009

September 3rd, 2009

..... the system in 2010

May 13th, 2010

Dec. 18th, 2010 - from my point of view this is what am still trying to achieve again

..... the system in 2011

January 12th, 2011 - user error dosing pump put around 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of ALK in the system

July 27th, 2011 - the lowest point of the system looking back this is the result of the UV glass breaking as well as a bad batch of salt

Winter 2011/2012 - the system is starting to recover again

..... the system in 2012

August 6th, 2012 - the system has done a complete 360 compare to last summer from my point of view

side note, funny how this two photos was taken with 2 ATI Coral+ bulb only, the color of all the corals with the exception of that pink looking birdsnest is correct.

Next steps - prune some of the larger colony such as that birdsnest to make room for more colourful sticks!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Obviously your patience has held things together despite the challenges. It looks really nice right now, love the two islands.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Obviously your patience has held things together despite the challenges. It looks really nice right now, love the two islands.
Agreed, I'd love to re-aquascape mine to look similar. Well done.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
thanks for the kind words mseepman!!!! if there is one thing that this hobby taught me it's to be patient!!! having two island is almost like having two different tanks! the first will never look like the second island!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Agreed, I'd love to re-aquascape mine to look similar. Well done.
thanks daplatapus!!! the idea behind the two island is to provide the fish enough room to swim and still have enough room for corals!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I agree....the islands look great .....I hope they are secure tho, looks like if you get any more growth, they may get top heavy and topple
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

It's nice to see the progression your tank has gone through. Too bad about the pseudo-crash but it seems the longer a person keeps a reef tank, the more inevitable a tank crash becomes.

Are you running all of your top off water through a kalk reactor or do you run a pH regulated system via a controller whereby the system only gets topped off with kalk when the pH is low? I've been contemplating doing this for some time now as the pH in my tank is usually <8 even during daylight hours.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I agree....the islands look great .....I hope they are secure tho, looks like if you get any more growth, they may get top heavy and topple
Thanks fishytime!!! as far as am concern they are secure enough!!!! knock on wood!!!! When I get more growth I will just have to keep pruning!!!! frags anyone!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones View Post
It's nice to see the progression your tank has gone through. Too bad about the pseudo-crash but it seems the longer a person keeps a reef tank, the more inevitable a tank crash becomes.

Are you running all of your top off water through a kalk reactor or do you run a pH regulated system via a controller whereby the system only gets topped off with kalk when the pH is low? I've been contemplating doing this for some time now as the pH in my tank is usually <8 even during daylight hours.
I have to agree with you a system crash major or minor is inevitable. It could be a simple as a bad batch or salt, accident or even user error! funny looking back they always said it comes it threes, himmmm guess those were my three from last year!!!

Currently am not using any reactor/stirrer but one has been ordered!!! I just mix them in a one gallon container and the ATO feed directly from it. I've always been changed as far as PH is concern, I could never get them over 8 day or night so a ph regulator is never needed how ever I do have a PH monitor attached to my RKL.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM

I was playing around with the camera and I thought I share a few photos! All photos were taken under 2 ATI coral + only.

still working on taken photos under LED, any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 AM

...... and a few new addition that one day am hoping to replace some of the current corals in the system.

...... not the color that I was hoping to get but am liking the current color morphs!!!

...... and a group shot

Tags
aquarium, coral, peninsula, rimless, sps