Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-14-2008, 10:04 PM

likwid is on a distinguished road
Default hair algae during cycle

Hey guys,

My cycle is about a week in now, and I have noticed that one of my rocks is growing hair algae like mad. I think it may have came with some hair algae on it, but it is getting really long now. Is there anything I can do to it during the cycle, or will it die off by itself? Right now i just have a powerhead pointed directly at it, hoping that will discourage growth. I run my halides on for about 6 hours a day, should I just leave the lights off during the cycle? My reasoning for leaving them on during is to avoid and diatom or algae outbreak after the cycle is complete.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44860

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks but that doesnt answer my specific questions which pertain to hair algae during a cycle. There is no way there are excess nutrients in a tank that was just filled with brand new 0 TDS salt water.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Thanks but that doesnt answer my specific questions which pertain to hair algae during a cycle. There is no way there are excess nutrients in a tank that was just filled with brand new 0 TDS salt water.
If you put in live rock then you have excess nutrients, even when rock is out of the water for a few hours things die on it, dieing things release nutrients into the water column. Water changes and some form of clean up crew is necessary to get rid of the hair algae before it spreads all over the tank...or you could turn the lights out for a few months and do water changes before turning lights back on

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
If you put in live rock then you have excess nutrients, even when rock is out of the water for a few hours things die on it, dieing things release nutrients into the water column. Water changes and some form of clean up crew is necessary to get rid of the hair algae before it spreads all over the tank...or you could turn the lights out for a few months and do water changes before turning lights back on
Is it better to cycle with or without lights on? I cannot add a clean up crew or change the water until the cycle is complete, so those 2 suggestions do not work for me.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I have always believed in cycling my tanks with the lights off, and in a dark room. If light gets into the room then I cover the tank and I do this for atleast a month. After that I slowly start turning on the lights a little more every day. By following the above routine I have had great success in controlling algae issues.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:03 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

^^ EDIT: Trigger beat me to punch...

Running your lights will give the hair algae something to feed off of, as it is photosynthesis, that's why when you cook live rock with algae and other nuisance problems it is recommended to have a completely lights out environment... Your tank will cycle just fine without lights. Once your cycle is complete, continue to do a week or two of water changes without lights, and then you can start increasing your photo period (ie: start @ 4hours, then 6, 8)

Blasting a tank with high levels of light all of sudden can cause a big algae bloom (as I found out when I added about 200% increase on my FW tank with some T5HO's on the same photo period as the stock 15W bulbs) hahaha.. the tank was GREEN... glass, substrate, decor...

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 AM

Thanks guys, I have now shut off my lights and timers and covered the tank with a blanket to block all light from entering. Do you think the hair algae will be gone by the time the cycle is done by doing this?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

It's hard to say, it depends on how long you cycle the tank from today and how much algae there is currently in the tank.. By shutting off the lights and covering the tank, as well as continuing to do the weekly water changes you should be alright. Basicly your tank cycling will now be complete when you no longer see any algae in the tank. Now it is down to the boring patience thing, but it will be well worth it. ( you can try removing as much algae as you can when you do your water changes, as well use RO water to speed the process if you are not already using it)
Old 09-15-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
It's hard to say, it depends on how long you cycle the tank from today and how much algae there is currently in the tank.. By shutting off the lights and covering the tank, as well as continuing to do the weekly water changes you should be alright. Basicly your tank cycling will now be complete when you no longer see any algae in the tank. Now it is down to the boring patience thing, but it will be well worth it. ( you can try removing as much algae as you can when you do your water changes, as well use RO water to speed the process if you are not already using it)
Hmm, I was told not to do any water changes until the cycle is complete?