Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

I live a minute from the aldergrove crossing i cross atleast a few times a month, talked to almost every cbsa there and done my research on it.
But dont mind me and my terrible advice
Old 07-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Old 07-07-2017, 05:59 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo
I live a minute from the aldergrove crossing i cross atleast a few times a month, talked to almost every cbsa there and done my research on it.
But dont mind me and my terrible advice
Did any of them ever refer you to Environment Canada? EC is responsible for importation of CITES regulated organisms into Canada. My recommendation is to check directly with the people responsible. You can contact Brenda at Environment Canada. Her email is brenda.buchart@ec.gc.ca She is up to date on all the CITES regulations. Things may have changed since June when I last imported Corals.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I think poor advice is quite an understatement!

If you bring back coral(even one piece) and they catch you without a CITES and they are feeling grumpy. You will lose the coral, possibly get charged for smuggling, possibly have your vehicle impounded and get flagged in the CBSA computers. Then every time you enter Canada you get inspected. It's a big dice roll and not worth it in my books.
+1. I'm sure my wife wouldn't be impressed if I got flagged for trying to bring back corals for my tank.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Thinks he can get Mods fired

acepumping is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
You dont need a cites for personal use.... ive called cites and spoke with them before i even tried... go on airs and do it for yourself. The last drop down option is either " for personal use" or not... if you select not then yes your require a permit....
It says approved on their website.
But dont worry about it if your so concerned, ive talked to plenty of cbsa, cites, and their supervisors and its ok.. im not saying go over there and buy a truck load of corals. Im saying if you want to bring something back for yourself then its OK as long as its for personal use.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

lol YES YOU DO NEED CITES!!! anything on the cites list needs a permit.. EVEN YOUR PERSONAL STUFF!!!
guys don't take this advice as there is lots of experienced people in this forum and this is some bad advice..
yes, you can face a smuggling charge and a fine up to $10,000.00.
certain things like RFA, YOU are able to snag across with scientific names etc.. still a headache..
as for most stuff.. you need permits

Sent from Space Mountain in Disneyland using Tapatalk.

Last edited by WarDog; 07-07-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 PM

jhj0112 is on a distinguished road

As far as I understand, you need CITES anything stoney corals (pretty much every SPS, LPS). only softies and anemones are OK. even then those should not be attached to any rock..

Also, you need have the receipt with scientific names of corals... It can be big PITA.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Last edited by jhj0112; 07-07-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

Well just goes to show how much of a joke the border system can be... i got this info from calling and talking to people at cites and cbsa and cfia.... trust me i spent hours researching and on the phone... im not trying to spread false info this is just what i was told by them... and i declared them everytime ive brought them accross its not smuggling.... ive been searched and held while cbsa does their research and everytime they send me through just fine....
Sorry to anyone that i may have mis informed im going to call cites again and discuss this further with them. Again.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Personally its just not worth the hassle if you want it that bad then by all means its YOUR choice

Everybody has their own opinion about the border and its crossing but remember this there is one constant at the border going either way. You have next to no rights at the border and border guards have a wide swath of authority going either way just remember that.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
Hey shift. Ive brought over corals multiple times now, the main thing is everything you bring accross has to be for "your tank" not anyone elses, not for re sale... for your own personal use. Ive had no issues bringing anything accross, fish and inverts are also fine....
One thing i do recommend and will save you from hours of cbsa reaserching to make sure its admissable is to go on
AIRS
http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/ai...sions-eng.aspx

Use the drop downs to narrow the search down to fish and invertabres. I dont exactly remember what selections get you to the fish and coral but its there. Once you reach the last drop down option it will either say approved or denied. Print that page and bring it with you and they can use the shortcut code and it will bring it right up on their computers!

Just remember..... its for YOUR OWN TANK!

If you look at top of page you linked this is in regards to food.
The concern is cites controlled corals.
All stony reef building corals are cites controlled and require permits.
Not cheap.
You might luck out and get a border agent who doesn't know, but it only takes one person aware of what is required to open up a world of hurt.
Who wants a cavity search every time you cross the border.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:31 AM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

So it's pretty much not worth it? Stick to hardware only ?! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk